Infected with Amnesia Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Amnesia Ransomware
Amnesia Ransomware is another ransomware virus, that encrypts documents, photos, music and other types of personal user files. Virus was written in Delphi programming language. Earlier versions of Amnesia use AES-256 encryption, latest versions use AES-128. After encryption most variants of Amnesia append .amnesia or .TRMT extensions to affected files. But there are also following suffixes possible: .LOGOZ, .onion, .[firstname.lastname@example.org].oled, .@decrypt_files2017, .SON, .[Help244@Ya.RU].LOCKED, .@decrypt2017, .CRYPTBOSS,.01 and .02. If you see, that files on your computer were modified with one of this patterns, your machine is infected with Amnesia Ransomware. Fortunately, most versions of Amnesia Ransomware can be removed, and .amnesia and .trmt files can be decrypted using automatic decryption tools. All versions create text file named HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT with following message:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID:
<-- redacted -->
Attention! What happened?
Your documents, databases and other important data has been encrypted.
If you want to restore files send an email to: email@example.com
In a letter to indicate your personal identifier (see in the beginning of this document).
* Do not attempt to remove the program or run the anti-virus tools.
* Attempts to self-decrypting files will result in the loss of your data.
* Decoders are not compatible with other users of your data, because each user’s unique encryption key.
Some version modify desktop background with picture with lock and e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Amnesia Ransomware demands from 0.5 to 1 BTC (Bitcoins), which is approximately $1200 – $2500. In order to decrypt the files hackers offer to write them on emails (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) for further instructions. Latest versions of Amnesia released in June 2017 appended .wncry extensions to encrypted files, trying to resemble wide-spread WannaCry Ransomware.
How Amnesia Ransomware infected your PC
Amnesia Ransomware is usually distributed via spam emails (malicious attachments), third party software downloads (free file hosting websites, torrents) and trojans. Ransomware also often act like a worm, infection all machines in the network after infecting one. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Amnesia Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 5 is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Amnesia Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Spyhunter.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Amnesia Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Amnesia Ransomware?
Use automated decryption tools
Decryption tool #1
There is ransomware decryptor from Emsisoft that can decrypt .amnesia files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Amnesia Ransomware virus. Download it here:
Decryption tool #2
There is ransomware decryptor from Emsisoft that can decrypt .trmt and other files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Amnesia Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Amnesia Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Amnesia Ransomware by Amnesia Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .amnesia files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov