Infected with COSANOSTRA Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is COSANOSTRA Ransomware
COSANOSTRA there is a cryptovirus that has been gaining momentum lately. The greatest activity is the beginning to gain in the second half of January. COSANOSTRA, like similar crypto viruses, encrypts user files of various formats, such as office documents, photos, videos, multimedia, archives and much more. Moreover, this changes the extension of these files to .cosanostra, after which the files become unsuitable for further use. Also, it is worth noting that COSANOSTRA will delete backup copies of files and system restore points to exclude the possibility of file recovery. COSANOSTRA creates a special #RECOVERY_FILES#.txt file that contains information about what happened.
All your files have been encrypted!
Now you should send us email with your personal identifier.
This email will be as confirmation you are ready to pay for decryption key.
YOU have to pay for decryption in Bitcoins. The price depends on how fast you write to us. After payment we will send you the decryption tool that will decrypt all your files.
Contact us using this email address
And tell us your unique ID
ID: [random characters]
Apparently, the fraudsters are aimed at an English-speaking audience, however, the virus has already spread throughout the world. Malefactors demand ransom for data decryption. In addition, the ransom should be in cryptocurrency, namely in bitcoins. This is not accidental. The fact is that the operations associated with cryptocurrency are almost impossible to track. We do not recommend you to pay. Check out our recommendations to remove COSANOSTRA immediately.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How COSANOSTRA Ransomware infected your PC
Like many similar crypto viruses, COSANOSTRA comes through the vulnerabilities of the user network as an attachment to a spam mailing list or as a false update for programs or utilities installed on your system. You need to use antiviruses that can really prevent such viruses from entering your system. Below you can read our recommendations to remove COSANOSTRA and decrypt your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will COSANOSTRA Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the COSANOSTRA Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Wipersoft – fully removes all instances of COSANOSTRA Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Data Recovery Pro.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Choose all files on folder you want to restore and select Restore.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of COSANOSTRA Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by COSANOSTRA Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of COSANOSTRA Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi