Infected with Donut Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Donut Ransomware
Donut Ransomware, which shows activity at the early June this year, is a dangerous crypto-virus called ransomware. According to our partners, it is similar to many others ransomware threats. It encrypts the most important user files, such as office documents, PDF files, photos, music, other media and so on. It also changes the file extensions to .donut. The main encryption algorithm is AES and it should be noted that it is almost impossible to decrypt the files manually without special knowledge or tools. The main purpose of the cyber scammers is to force you to pay ransom for decryption, that’s why you can notice the following message:
With following text:
All your files have been ENCRYPTED by DONUT Ransomware
Do you want to restore your files?
Your should buy DonutDecryptor.
Current Price $100.
For payment your need cryptocurrency BitCoin.
Write to our email - email@example.com
and tell us your unique ID and BitCoin transaction.
Your Uniq ID is: *****
BitCoin wallet is: 1MV7wbeF1yLGRCUmVdgiDWMD7y
According to the contents of this note, attackers offer decryption tool for $100 in the equivalent of a BTC. Why cryptocurrency? Only in this way scammers manage to elude the prosecution of law enforcement officers. Note, Do not pay them in any way. They can easily trick you. You can always use our recommendations listed below to remove Donut Ransomware and decrypt your files or contact us for decryption. If you have any difficulties with our instruction, please write us on firstname.lastname@example.org, we can really help to decrypt .donut ransomware.
How Donut Ransomware infected your PC
In most cases, Donut Ransomware comes through an unprotected network, complete with free software. Donut Ransomware is hidden in specially designed downloaders and installers. Also, in some cases, it takes the form of e-mail attachments. We advise you to use special utilities that can protect your PC from similar threats. If your computer is already infected, then there are ways to remove Donut Ransomware.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Donut Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 5 is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Donut Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Spyhunter.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Donut Ransomware:
Related connections and registry entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Donut Ransomware?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt Donut files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Donut Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Donut Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – donut by donut ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .donut files using shadow copies
- Download and run Data Recovery Pro.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Choose all files on folder you want to restore and select Restore.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Tim Kas