Infected with Gorgon Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Gorgon Ransomware
Today we will talk about the Gorgon cryptovirus, which has become very popular lately, namely in the second half of January of this year. First, let’s understand what is a cryptovirus. This is a virus that encrypts user data of almost all formats, including multimedia files, archives, office documents, and much more. After encryption, this changes the file extension to [firstname.lastname@example.org] and makes these files unusable for future use. Also, the virus creates a special file #DECRYPT MY FILES#.HTML that contains information about encryption.
All your important files have been encrypted!
If you want to decrypt your files. Please read the #DECRYPT MY FILES#.HTML for help.
The note contains an email address at which the user needs to contact the attackers to pay the ransom. The amount of the repurchase can reach several hundred contracts, in some cases even 1000 dollars. Be that as it may, we do not recommend that you pay money, as there is no guarantee that scammers will actually return your files to you. You need to carefully review our recommendations with the instructions below to try to remove Gorgon and decrypt your files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Gorgon Ransomware infected your PC
Like many similar crypto viruses, Gorgon comes through the unprotected settings of network users, Taking the form of an application mailing or a false update for a program or utility. You need to use advanced versions of antivirus software that can truly secure your system. If Gorgon Ransomware has already penetrated the computer and encrypted your files, then read our recommendations to remove Gorgon right now and decrypt your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Gorgon Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Gorgon Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 4 – fully removes all instances of Gorgon Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Data Recovery Pro.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Choose all files on folder you want to restore and select Restore.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Gorgon Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Gorgon Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Gorgon Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi