Infected with Nemucod Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Nemucod Ransomware
Nemucod is a trojan, that downloads ransomware virus on your computer. This virus claims it uses RSA-1024 algorithm to encrypt user personal files and appends .crypted to those files. In fact, files are encrypted with more simple XOR algorithm. Ransomware encodes various types of files: documents, music, e-mails, videos, photos, game files. Decryption is possible with the special decrypter by EmsiSoft, that we will describe later. It is also possible to restore files from shadow copies, using instructions below. Virus creates text file Decrypt.txt with instructions to pay the ransom of 0.60358 BitCoins (approximately $250$). It is strongly recommended not to disclose your bank credentials to the attackers. Follow this tutorial to remove Nemucod Ransomware and decrypt files with .crypted extension using special tools or manually.
How Nemucod Ransomware infected your PC
Nemucod Ransomware distributes on computers using popular methods (malicious email attachments, torrent (P2P) networks, fake invoices). Nemucod Ransomware uses TOR network for receiving ransom, which makes it very difficult to trace the attacker. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Nemucod Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
WiperSoft is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Nemucod Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Spyhunter.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Nemucod Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files and folders:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Upkfmedia
How to decrypt files infected by Nemucod Ransomware (.crypted files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from EmsiSoft that can decrypt .crypted files. It is free and may help you restore .crypted files by Nemucod Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .crypted files.
Decrypt .crypted files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Nemucod Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Nemucod Ransomware by Nemucod Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .crypted files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov