Infected with BTCWare PayDay Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is BTCWare PayDay Ransomware
Note: Currently, there is no 100% working decryptor to restore .payday files, however there is a possibility to decrypt files using instructions below. Article will be updated as soon as working decryptor appears.
BTCWare PayDay Ransomware belongs to the family of BTCWare Ransomware, that we described in our blog. However, unlike its predecessor it uses more complex AES-256 encryption algorithm, which makes it more difficult to decrypt files. Latest version uses following pattern to modify filenames and extensions: [email]-id-[id-number].payday. Here is the list of known developer e-mails:
After finalizing encryption process BTCWare PayDay Ransomware opens browser window with instructions to contact developers and pay the ransom. Ransom amount varies between $500 and $1000 and have to be paid in BitCoins. It is not recommended to pay the ransom as there is no guarantee malefactors will send the key. But, this will put your bank details into risk. We recommend you to remove BTCWare PayDay Ransomware (its active part) and preserve affected files for the time decryption utility appears.
How BTCWare PayDay Ransomware infected your PC
BTCWare PayDay Ransomware usually infects your PC through infected email attachments (be careful, as cyber criminals usually mask their spam malicious emails with attachments into Ebay email or any other popular trusted website), fake software updaters and trojans – that’s why good anti-viruses is vitally important to avoid ransomware threat. You can also get this ransomware on file sharing networks, including torrent files. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the BTCWare PayDay Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 4 – fully removes all instances of BTCWare PayDay Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of BTCWare PayDay Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by BTCWare PayDay Ransomware (.payday files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .payday files. It is free and may help you restore .payday files encrypted by BTCWare PayDay Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .payday files.
Decrypt .payday files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of BTCWare PayDay Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – BTCWare PayDay Ransomware by BTCWare PayDay Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .payday files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov