Infected with Scarab Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Scarab Ransomware
Scarab Ransomware is encryption virus, that encodes your files using AES cryptography and appends .scarab extension. Latest versions of this malware add following suffixes:
Following successful infection and encryption Scarab Ransomware creates IF_YOU_WANT_TO_GET_ALL_YOUR_FILES_BACK_PLEASE_READ_THIS.TXT file with following text:
*** IF YOU WANT TO GET ALL YOUR FILES BACK, PLEASE READ THIS ***
Your files are now encrypted!
—–BEGIN PERSONAL IDENTIFIER—–
—–END PERSONAL IDENTIFIER—–
All your files have been encrypted due to a security problem with your PC.
Now you should send us email with your personal identifier.
This email will be as confirmation you are ready to pay for decryption key.
You have to pay for decryption in Bitcoins. The price depends on how fast you write to us.
After payment we will send you the decryption tool that will decrypt all your files.
Contact us using this email address: email@example.com
Free decryption as guarantee!
Before paying you can send us up to 3 files for free decryption.
The total size of files must be less than 5Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information (databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.).
How to obtain Bitcoins?
* The easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click
‘Buy bitcoins’, and select the seller by payment method and price:
* Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
* Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
And puts it on the desktop. It demands ransom between $500 and $1000 in BitCoins. Latest versions remove shadow copies of files, restore points and system state backups, not allowing users to restore files using any of this methods. At the moment files hit by Scarab Ransomware are non-decryptable. We will update this article, as soon as decryption tool appears. Follow instructions below to remove Scarab Ransomware and decrypt .scarab and .scorpio files in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7.
If your files got another extension, please check all Scarab Ransomware versions and extensions in the list:
Scarab Ransomware – .scorpio, .scarab
Scarab-Please – .please
Scarab-Crypto – .crypto
Amnesia – .amnesia, .@decrypt_files2017, .firstname.lastname@example.org or .TRMT
Scarab-XTBL(Oblivion) – .xtbl, .oblivion
Horsia – .email@example.com
Scarab-Walker – .JohnnieWalker
Scarab-Osk – .osk
Scarab-Rebus – .rebus
Scarab-DiskDoctor – .diskdoctor
Scarab-Bomber – .bomber, .firstname.lastname@example.org or .email@example.com
How Scarab Ransomware infected your PC
Scarab uses RDP (remote desktop protocol) vulnerability as the main vector for its attacks. Scarab Ransomware also infects your PC through infected email attachments (be careful, as cybercriminals usually mask their spam malicious emails with attachments into eBay email or any other popular trusted website), fake software updates and trojans – that’s why good anti-viruses are vitally important to avoid ransomware threat. You can also get this ransomware on file-sharing networks, including torrent files. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as the user in this network is often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Scarab Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 4 – fully removes all instances of Scarab Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Scarab Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Scarab Ransomware (.scarab and .scorpio files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .scarab and .scorpio files. It is free and may help you restore .scarab and .scorpio files encrypted by Scarab Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .scarab and .scorpio files.
Decrypt .scarab and .scorpio files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Scarab Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Scarab Ransomware by Scarab Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .scarab and .scorpio files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov