Infected with Scarab-Walker ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Scarab-Walker ransomware
Scarab-Walker is the latest version of ransomware viruses, marked as Scarab Ransomware. We already subscribed old versions: Horsia, Scarab-XTBL, Scarab-crypto, Scarab, Amnesia. Scarab-Walker shows all features of other versions: it encrypts all files on user’s PC, adding .JohnnieWalker suffix to every coded file, and start to demand a ransom in BTC from victims for decryption. All documents (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .xls and others), databases, mediafiles are at risk. If you haven’t backup copies, you may lose your files completely. If you want to remove Scarab-Walker ransomware and decrypt .JohnnieWalker files, please read our article below. If you don’t sure, what ransomware on your PC, you may check HOW TO DECRYPT WALKER INFO.TXT on your machine. If it has the following text, you may deal with Scarab-Walker ransomware:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
Letter must include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In response letter You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in the convenient way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
- It doesn't make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
- Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
- Just contact with us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
- When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key
If your files got another extension, please check all Scarab Ransomware versions and extensions in the list:
Scarab Ransomware – .scorpio, .scarab
Scarab-Please – .please
Scarab-Crypto – .crypto
Amnesia – .amnesia, .@decrypt_files2017, .email@example.com or .TRMT
Scarab-XTBL(Oblivion) – .xtbl, .oblivion
Horsia – .firstname.lastname@example.org
Scarab-Walker – .JohnnieWalker
Scarab-Osk – .osk
Scarab-Rebus – .rebus
Scarab-DiskDoctor – .diskdoctor
Scarab-Bomber – .bomber, .email@example.com or .firstname.lastname@example.org
How Scarab-Walker ransomware infected your PC
Scarab-Walker ransomware, as previously vesrsions of Scarab ransomware is spread through the spam emails. Email design might slightly differ from your previous official emails. The infection can proliferate secretly as some freeware program or it can pretend to be the update. While you think that you are updating some software, you are actually installing ransomware. Therefore, you should never download programs from the suspicious sources and use a third party update tool. The only way to protect your computer from such threats is to install antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
What to do if you are infected with Scarab-Walker ransomware virus?
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Scarab-Walker ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
WiperSoft is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Scarab-Walker ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Spyhunter.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Scarab-Walker ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to restore files.hta
How to decrypt files infected by Scarab-Walker ransomware (.JohnnieWalker files)?
Use automated decryption tools
Scarab-Walker decryption tool from Kaspersky
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .JohnnieWalker files. It is free and may help you restore .JohnnieWalker files encrypted by Scarab-Walker Ransomware virus. Download it here:
Decrypt .JohnnieWalker files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Scarab-Walker ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by Scarab-Walker ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .JohnnieWalker files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by Tim Kas