What is TeslaCrypt 4.2?
Developers of TeslaCrypt shut down ransomware and released Master Decryption Key. This helped security specialist to create effective decryptors. Now 95% of TeslaCrypt encrypted files can be decrypted using instructions below and decryption tools offered in this article.
TeslaCrypt 4.2 is latest version of one of the most wide-spread crypto-viruses in the world. Most recent version does not append any extension to encrypted files. Previous versions added following suffixes:
.ecc, .ezz, .exx, .xyz, .zzz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc, .vvv, .micro, .ttt
If you are infected with ransomware and you see any of this extension added – that means your files are encrypted with TeslaCrypt 4.2 or earlier versions and your files can be decrypted. To effectively restore your files you need to remove any active process of this ransomware using special removal tools or trying standard antivirus software. After this you need to use special decoders to determine decryption key and get your files back. Follow instructions below to remove TeslaCrypt 4.2 Ransomware and decrypt .vvv or .exx files in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7.
How TeslaCrypt 4.2 gets on your PC?
All viruses of this kind usually distributed with spam e-mails. But sometimes you can get infected when running files downloaded from torrents or following links in Skype-bot spam. While encrypting your files, TeslaCrypt 4.2 will also create text files in every folder of your computer where it encrypted files. File name is “HELP_TO_DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.txt” and it contains text instructions to pay the ransom and decrypt your files. Use crypto-protection software to protect from files encryption.
How to remove TeslaCrypt 4.2 from your computer?
To remove TeslaCrypt 4.2, then delete all files and regkeys.
In our view, there are 3 products that potentially have TeslaCrypt 4.2 in their database. You can try to use them for removing TeslaCrypt 4.2.
SpyHunter 5 is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to TeslaCrypt 4.2 – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Spyhunter.
1. WiperSoft Antispyware – detects files, registry values and folders of viruses that show the same behavior as TeslaCrypt 4.2.
2. Malwarebytes Antimalware – can find malware threats, similar to TeslaCrypt 4.2
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of TeslaCrypt 4.2:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by TeslaCrypt 4.2 (.vvv and .exx files)?
There is decryption tool for TeslaCrypt 4.2 and earlier version of this virus called TeslaDecoder. You can use it to decrypt your files for free. Download it here:
How to use TeslaDecoder from BloodDolly
- Unzip file TeslaDecoder.zip and run TeslaDecoder.exe file.
- If tool didn’t load information automatically click Set Key button and choose your version of TeslaCrypt Ransomware.
- After this tool will set decryption key and you can choose the folder or certain files to decrypt using the menu on the right side of program window.
Decrypt .vvv and .exx files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of TeslaCrypt 4.2 remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by TeslaCrypt 4.2). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .vvv and .exx files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov