Infected with BigBobRoss Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is BigBobRoss Ransomware
Today in this topic, we describe in detail BigBobRoss cryptovirus. To begin with, let’s define what a cryptovirus is. This is a virus that comes to your computer and encrypts user files. These can be audio, video, photos, archives, office documents and more. Of course, it is worth noting that the files become unsuitable for further use later. The cryptovirus assigns another .obfuscated extension to the files. Also, BigBobRoss creates a note file Read Me.txt containing information about the purchase.
Hello, dear friend!
1- [All your files have been ENCRYPTED!]
Your files are NOT damaged! Your files are modified only.
The only way to decrypt your files is to receive the decryption program.
your files can not be decrypted without the special program we made it for your computer.
2- [ HOW TO RETURN FILES? ]
To receive the decryption program Write to our email "BigBobRoss@computer4u.com"
and tell us your unique ID
3- [ FREE DECRYPTION! ]
Free decryption as guarantee.
We guarantee the receipt of the decryption program after payment.
To believe, you can give us 1 file that must be less than 1MB and we decrypt it for free.
File should not be important to you! databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.
4- [ Instruction ]
the easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. you have to register, click "buy bitcoins"
and select the seller by payment method and price.
please do not change the name of files or file extension if your files are important to you!
Your unique ID : *** [8 uppercase hex]
Judging by the content of the note, the fraudsters are aimed at English-speaking users, but BigBobRoss has already managed to spread throughout the world. Also, it is worth noting that attackers require a ransom in the cryptocurrency, the size of the ransom can reach several hundred dollars. Of course, this is a lot of money. We do not recommend you to pay. Use our guides to try to remove it yourself.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How BigBobRoss Ransomware infected your PC
Like many similar viruses, it comes through the unprotected gaps of user networks. This may take the form of a false update or attachments in a spam ezine. Be that as it may, you need to use antivirus software that can really protect your system. Check out our instructions to remove BigBobRoss and decrypt your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will BigBobRoss Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the BigBobRoss Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 5 – fully removes all instances of BigBobRoss Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of BigBobRoss Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by BigBobRoss Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of BigBobRoss Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Written by Rami Douafi