Infected with Cerber2? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Cerber2
Cerber2 is new version of Cerber ransomware, that we described in one of our previous articles. Both viruses act in similar fashion, but new one adds .cerber2 extension instead of .cerber. After this virus asks for 1.24 bitcoins (~$500) for decryption service. As well as its predecessor, Cerber2 virus copies 3 files on you computer (#DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, #DECRYPT MY FILES#.html, #DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs). First two contain instructions to decrypt your files and link to “Cerber Decryptor”, while .vbs file will open message box with the same contents. Currently, there no free decryptors developed, but there are certain methods we offer to help you decrypt files described below. Trend Micro Ransomware Decryptor, that was able to decrypt .cerber files, currently cannot decrypt .cerber2 files, however, we recommend you to check this page for the updated version. Read the article below to learn how to remove Cerber2 ransomware and decrypt your .cerber2 files.
Your documents, photos, databases and other important files have been encrypted!
If you understand all importance of the situation then we propose to you to go directly to your personal page where you will receive the complete instructions and guarantees to restore your files.
There is a lost of temporary addresses to go on your personal page below.
How Cerber2 infected your PC
Cerber2 uses e-mails to infiltrate users computers. Virus is hidden inside archives with .doc or .xls documents attached to such e-mails. If user downloads this archive and opens .doc or .xls file, it will ask to enable macros. Once uses does it there is no way back because it will soon download small executable and will run it to encrypt files in user folders. Antiviruses have a small chance to catch Cerber2 virus as it is constantly modified. The only way to protect your computer from such threats is use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
What to do if you are infected with Cerber2 virus?
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Cerber2 virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Cerber2 – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Cerber2:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Cerber2 (.cerber2 files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Trend Micro that may decrypt .cerber2 files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Cerber2. Download it here:
There is currently no other automated decryption tool for Cerber2 files, but that doesn’t mean that you need to pay the ransom. We track the topic and will add any new decryption tool available in this part of the article. Now you can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .Cerber2 files.
Decrypt .Cerber2 files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Cerber2 remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by Cerber2). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .cerber2 files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov