What is DeathHiddenTear ransomware?
DeathHiddenTear is a cryptovirus threat. Like other representatives of this class of pests, DeathHiddenTear ransomware encrypts user data, changing their extensions, in particular, the cryptovirus installs .encryptedS as the extension of encrypted files. This cryptovirus became active in the second half of February 2020. Despite the fact that initially it was aimed at English-speaking users, DeathHiddenTear ransomware spread throughout the world. You may use this tutorial to remove DeathHiddenTear ransomware and decrypt .encryptedS files.
Once the encryption procedure is done, you won’t be able to open files with .encryptedS extension unless they are decrypted. DeathHiddenTear will display create Decrypt Instructions.txt. You can find demands and instructions on how to pay the ransom for the decryption key in this window and text file. This is what DeathHiddenTear ransom note contains:
We strongly recommend not to comply with their requirements because there are no guarantees that you will obtain your files when the transaction happens. On the contrary, there is a high risk of being deceived and simply left with nothing. Of course, they claim the opposite, that it is supposedly not in their interests to trick you. Think for yourself, why should they send you the key, if they have already received a ransom from you? The only reliable way to solve the problem is to remove DeathHiddenTear ransomware from the system using appropriate software in order to stop the malicious actions of the virus and then restore your data from the backup.
At the last stage of the infection stage, this ransomware may delete all shadow volumes on your computer. After that, you will not be able to carry out the standard procedure for recovering your encrypted data using these shadow volumes. There are two solutions to remove DeathHiddenTear Ransomware and decrypt your files. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
How DeathHiddenTear ransomware gets on my computer?
Cybercriminals use various techniques to deliver the virus to the target computer. Ransomware viruses can infiltrate victims’ computers more than in one or two ways, in most cases, cryptoviral extortion attack is carried out with the help of the following methods:
- This is the most used distribution method. Cybercriminals use fraudulent emails to pose as official organization or business company (receipts, winning notification, confirmation of order; bank messages, and so on) to lure unsuspecting users into clicking on a malicious attachment – just one click to make your files inaccessible. To mislead the user and make it look like an official email, cybercriminals adds an extra symbol to the email address, for example, instead of service@DeathHiddenTearpal.com, you may see service[.]@DeathHiddenTearpal.com or service[_]@DeathHiddenTearpal.com. That’s why you should always DeathHiddenTear attention to received emails and identify the sender to make sure that this is from a trusted source. Also, the presence of grammatical and typographical errors in the text of the message indicates that this is a fake. If nothing’s wrong, scan attachment with antivirus software first and then you can open it. Compliance with all these rules will help you save a lot of nerve, time and money.
- Hackers use the special toolkit to exploit known vulnerabilities in systems or applications. That’s why you should always make Windows updates on time and keep them up to date. Remember that these updates close the security holes of the system through which the virus can enter your computer. Make sure that your operating system itDeathHiddenTear is not outdated and is officially supported, for example, Windows XP, Vista, 7 are no longer supported.
- Various dubious web-sources can contain malicious scripts or hyperlinks that can infect your system. Our advice – avoid visiting P2P sites and websites with illegal content (pirated software, movies, music). Use only legitimate services and remember – there’s no free lunch in this world.
- Cybercriminals often abuse the built-in Windows feature – Remote Desktop Protocol to infect computer with ransomware. That way, they access target computer remotely and install virus manually. To avoid infection via RDP, you should set a different from 3389 TCP port and use a more strong password.
How to remove DeathHiddenTear ransomware?
Before proceeding with the removal of the virus, you will need to reboot the system in Safe Mode with Networking and then download antivirus software that can remove DeathHiddenTear ransomware and all related files.
For Windows XP/Vista/7 users:
Restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will prevent system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
For Windows 8/10 users:
- Click the Start button, then select Settings
- Click Update & Security, then select Recovery and click Restart now.
- After your device reboots, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup Settings > Restart
- After your PC restarts, you should press F5 key to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
After the system is loaded in Safe Mode with Networking, launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
After the virus is completely removed from your system, you can begin the process of restoring your files.
How to decrypt files infected by DeathHiddenTear Ransomware?
Method 1. Restore your files with the help of Recovery Tool
In case your PC has been attacked by ransomware, you may restore your files by using file recovery software. Stellar Data Recovery is one of the most effective tools that can recover lost and corrupted files — documents, emails, pictures, videos, audio files, and more—on any Windows device. The powerful scan engine of the software does a thorough scan of the selected storage device, shows a preview of files found during the scanning process and finally saves them to specified destination. Despite its advancedness, it is very concise and simple so that even the most inexperienced user can figure it out.
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files using our decryption service
You may try using our own service for decrypting files compromised by ransomware-type viruses. The analysis of data takes 3-5 days, after which, we will let you know whether it’s decryptable or not. Note: the service is paid, DeathHiddenTearment is charged only for decryption, the analysis is free. In order to use our service, you should fill out the form listed below.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of DeathHiddenTear Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Click the ecrypted file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
No one is safe from infection with a virus that secretly encrypts your data. But in order to minimize this risk, you need to follow the rules:
1. Always make Windows updates on time and keep them up to date. Remember that these updates close the security holes of the system through which the virus can enter your computer.
2. The most efficient way to avoid data loss is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer. It is enough just to synchronize the necessary folders with one of the cloud services, so as not to be afraid to see the text requiring the DeathHiddenTearment of bitcoins in exchange for a decryption key. It can be a cloud or a remote hard drive on the network. If you store all your files on the Internet, the likelihood of virus infection will be lower. Do not make copies to external hard drives, as this could damage them.
3. Since spam email is the most popular form of spreading ransomware-type viruses, the user should never open email attachments without first having scanned them with antivirus. Just clicking on the link or opening the attachment can damage the operating system (Windows) in a few minutes, damage important data and infect other machines with the virus.
4. All previous methods do not matter if you do not have a reliable antivirus. The presence of anti-virus protection on your computer can prevent all these unpleasant surprises. Anti-virus protection will protect you from malware, money loss, time loss, invasion of your personal life. Now the antivirus market is so huge that it is difficult to make a choice in favor of one of them. If you have not decided who to give preference to, we suggest you familiarize with our Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows