Infected with Excuses Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Excuses Ransomware
Excuses is one of the ransomware viruses encrypting user data, after which it cannot be opened, changed or restored because Excuses Ransomware removes all system restore points. In addition, Excuses Ransomware changes the extensions of the target files, it adds .excuses extension. Developers have created a special text document entitled MESSAGE.txt that opens during each attempt to open an encrypted file:
which contains the following text:
Приобрести декриптор можно до 02.04.2018
Запросить стоимость: firstname.lastname@example.org
В ТЕМЕ письма укажите ваш ID: [redacted numbers] Письма без указания ID игнорируются.
Убедительная просьба не пытаться расшифровать файлы сторонними инструментами.
Вы можете их окончательно испортить и даже оригинальный декриптор не поможет.
Заявки обрабатываются автоматической системой.
Translation into English:
You can purchase the decryptor before 02.04.2018
Refine the cost: email@example.com
Indicate your ID in the subject line: [redacted numbers] Letters without ID are ignored.
Please do not try to decrypt files with third-party tools.
You can spoil it completely, and even the original decryptor will not help.
Requests are processed by an automated system.
From the note, it follows that first of all developers are aimed at Russian-speaking users. However, recently this virus is found in many users from other countries, regardless of language. User needs to pay a few hundred dollars to unlock files and get the decryptor, but this is a hoax. Do not pay the attackers, because it will not change anything. Use our instructions below to remove Excuses Ransomware.
How Excuses Ransomware infected your PC
Unprotected network settings are the most suitable path for Excuses Ransomware virus penetration. Also, it can take the form of an attachment in a spam letter or be part of a false update for a PC or browser. In any case, you need to remove Excuses Ransomware immediately and take actions to decrypt your files. Use our instructions and recommendations. HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Excuses Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Excuses Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Excuses Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Excuses Ransomware?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt Spora files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Excuses Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Excuses Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Excuses Ransomware by Excuses Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .lock, .1btc or .mich files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi