What is FCT ransomware?
FCT is a new ransomware-type virus that encrypts users’ data using AES algorithm. In most cases, FCT ransomware is distributed as a fake activator for Microsoft Office (file Activator_Office.exe) or one of the components of KMSAuto. Also, cybercriminals use spam emails, phishing websites, exploits, botnets, fake installers/updaters to spread the virus. Once inside, it launches FCT.exe files that starts encryption procedure. After that, the user will not be able to open or read infected files until they are decrypted. Instead of them, you will see documents empty icon with the .adv extension that can not be opened or how to either use.
The decryption key may solve the problem and unlock all the data and that is exactly why cyber criminals will offer their deal – money in exchange for the decryption key. It is curious that this virus leaves no information about the amount of ransom and further actions to restore your files. Instead, it drops *** file that contains same information: ***. Nevertheless, we think that it’s only a matter of time that doesn’t change the fact that your files are already encrypted. If you got this virus on your computer, we recommend you to use our guide in order to remove FCT ransomware and decrypt .adv files.
How FCT ransomware gets on my computer?
– Spam attachments and hyperlinks
– Software vulnerabilities and exploits
– Malicious sites
– Backdoors (defects of the algorithm that are intentionally built into it by the developer and allow you to gain unauthorized access to data or remote control of the operating system and the computer as a whole)
How to remove FCT ransomware?
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will prevent system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the FCT ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of FCT Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by FCT Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of FCT Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- FCTt-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data loss is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.