Infected with Mimicry Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Mimicry Ransomware
Mimicry Ransomware, also known as ShivaGood Ransomware, is another cryptovirus, extorting money from users. As with similar extortion programs, this encrypts data on the user’s computer, which can represent one or another value. It can be office documents, PDF files, video and audio files, multimedia and so on. Of course, these files become useless after encryption. In addition, it is worth noting that it is almost impossible to restore files since the virus removes shadow copies of files and system restore points. Mimicry uses the AES algorithm for encryption and changes the extension of files to .good. The information note is HOW_TO_RECOVER_FILES.txt, which contains a fairly detailed instruction for decrypting files. Look at this:
Your personal identifier: U3Mimicry
Your important files are now encrypted due to a security problem with your PC!
Now you should send us email with your personal identifier.
This email will be as confirmation you are ready to pay for decryption key.
You have to pay for decryption in Bitcoins. The price depends on how fast you write to us.
After payment we will send you the decryption tool that will decrypt all your files.
Contact us using this email address: email@example.com
Free decryption as guarantee!
Before paying you can send us up to 3 files for free decryption.
The total size of files must be less than 10Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information (databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.).
How to obtain Bitcoins?
* The easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click'Buy bitcoins', and select the seller by payment method and price:
* Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
* Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price
(they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
In the note, attackers use a variety of tricks to encourage the user to pay a ransom of several hundred dollars, but the transaction must pass using crypto currency to exclude the possibility of tracking criminals. Also, it is worth mentioning that scammers even allow you to decrypt a couple of files for free. Noble, is not it? In general, remember one thing – you do not need to pay them. You can use our guide to remove Mimicry and restore your files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Mimicry infected your PC
How many would not have been cryptovirus, the pattern of penetration remains almost unchanged. The lion’s share lies in the vulnerability of user network settings and, in particular, the lack of antivirus. We strongly recommend that you get a good quality antivirus (paid version). Pay attention to attachments to spam mailings and do not install software updates from suspicious sources. If your files are already encrypted, then read our recommendations to remove Mimicry and decrypt your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Mimicry virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Mimicry – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Mimicry:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Mimicry?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Mimicry remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi