What is Mint Search
Mint Search is a browser-hijacking application that forcibly makes changes to browser configuration, which cannot be reset. It usually arrives together with freeware programs and is installed as a browser extension without the user’s knowledge. Following infiltration, it corrupts the browser’s settings to set https://find.mintsearch.net/ webpage as the new search provider.
The main purpose of browser hijacker is to boost affiliate websites’ traffic – the more clicks on sponsored links the more money the virus developers get paid. Find.mintsearch.net displays search results from Yahoo and though it’s a legit search engine, the top results are filled with sponsored links. The only way to stop this is to get rid of browser hijacker completely which is very difficult because it blocks all attempts to do that. You can remove Mint Search browser hijacker by following our manual guide or you can let the antimalware software do it for you. If you are interested in the latter method, we recommend using Norton for Windows and Mac users or Combo Cleaner for Mac users.
|Name||Mint Search 1.0|
|Type of threat||browser hijacker|
|Symptoms||Browser hijacker changes homepage and search engine of browser so that users are forced to use them. It fills the targeted browser with commercial content in form of pop-ups, banners, in-text links, audio/video ads, etc. Also, hijacker can occasionally cause redirects to third-party websites|
|Infiltration||Freeware programs, illegal software, software cracks, torrents, fake updates|
|Manual Removal||To eliminate threat manually, you should remove all files and applications related to the browser hijacker|
|Removal Tool||To completely get rid of hijacker, We recommend using Norton Antivirus. This is the only way you can be 100% sure that all components of the threat are removed from the system.|
How to remove Mint Search hijacker from your computer?
The easiest and modern way of removing pop-ups, trojans, ransomware, or other viruses is to use automatic removal tools. See our Anti-malware tools below for further instructions.
Recommended Anti-malware tools:
Try Combo Cleaner Antivirus
Also, you can try to remove Mint Search hijacker manually.
Step 1: Remove Mint Search hijacker from Control Panel/Applications
- Click Start.
- Control Panel.
- Then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Mint Search hijacker.
- Click Uninstall.
Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- Click Start.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Mint Search and click Uninstall.
Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Open the Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Then as in Windows 7, click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Mint Search, select it and click Uninstall.
- Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, click on the Settings at the top.
- Click on App & features on the left menu.
- On the right side, locate Mint Search and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
Note: If you can’t find required program, sort programs by date in Control panel and search for last installed programs.
- Open Finder
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications
- If you see Uninstall Mint Search or Mint Search Uninstaller (or other suspicious apps that you’ve never installed), double-click it and follow instructions
- Drag unwanted application Mint Search from the Applications folder to the Trash (located on the right side of the Dock)
Step 2: Remove Mint Search entries from Windows Registry
- Press Windows+R and type: regedit
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\
- Click the “arrow” next to Google and delete Extensions folder
After that remove Mint Search from your browser.
Step 3: Remove Mint Search from browsers
- Open Google Chrome
- Click on 3-dots icon in the upper right corner and select Tools.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Mint Search.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Click on 3-dots icon in the upper right corner.
- Select Settings.
- Type notifications into the search bar.
- Select Content settings.
- Select Notifications.
- Find Mint Search in the Allow list.
- Click on three dots next to Mint Search and select Remove.
- Open Safari
- Click Safari menu.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Mint Search or other suspicious extensions.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Choose Mint Search.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
- Press Settings and more button
- Choose and Click on Extensions
- Find Olpair extension and click settings
- Press Uninstall button
- Start Edge again
- Open IE.
- Push Alt + T.
- Click Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Mint Search.
- Click More information link in the left-bottom corner.
- Click Remove button.
- If this button is grayed out – perform alternative steps.
Step 4: Resetting your browser search and homepage settings
Reset browser setting in Safari:
- Open Safari.
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Choose Reset Safari….
- Click Reset button.
Reset browser setting in Google Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu (3 bar button) in the top right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Go to Reset browser settings section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset browser setting in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Go to Help.
- Go to Troubleshooting information.
- Click Reset Firefox… button.
Remove Mint Search from Android Smartphones:
Alternative solution for Android phone/tablet:
- open the Chrome app.
- To the right of the address bar, tap More.
- Choose and open Settings
- Tap Site settings and then find Mint Search Pop-ups.
- Turn of Mint Search from Allowed to Block.
Written by Ilyas J