What is Quimera Ransomware?
Quimera is a new ransomware that encrypts files with its own algorithm, without adding an extension to the file names. It starts the process of encrypting your valuable data and documents, performing certain tasks through the task manager. A ransom request message with the name HELP_ME_RECOVER_MY_FILES.txt insists on paying 0.04 bitcoins (about $ 300) to restore the original state of your files. Fraudsters carefully provide hyperlinks where you can buy Bitcoin cryptocurrency and do not forget their email address. They will offer you to provide them with Quimera type of file for free decryption, and they will prove that the decryption tool works. After all, few people already believe them.
The Quimera virus more or less successfully avoids detection. Therefore, some programs cannot detect it without restarting Windows in safe mode. Quimera Ransomware may have the nasty feature of deleting shadow copies of volumes of all encrypted files using PowerShell commands. Thus, the ransomware developers significantly complicate the process of self-decryption for the PC user. In addition, they store encryption keys on special servers, and not in the program code of their virus. In addition, Quimera Ransomware may not be the only malware that gets into your computer system. This cyber threat can be filled with other dangerous viruses, such as Trojans, which seek to steal personal information, steal money from a user’s bank account, destroy certain programs, eat processor power and slow down the entire computer system.
Text message with a ransom demand and other information:
Atention! all your important files were encrypted!
to get your files back send 0.04 Bitcoins and contact us with proof of payment and your Unique Identifier Key.
We will send you a decryption tool with your personal decryption password.
Where can you buy Bitcoins:
You can send us any of your files by mail and we will prove to you that we can safely decrypt everything.
Bitcoin wallet to make the transfer to is: 3PtjNxVwBJdkqw8dtCvEVCnWCsRbtgAaec
With deepest respect for you Corrupt Bards Team.3PtjNxVwBJdkqw8dtCvEVCnWCsRbtgAaec
Unique Identifier Key (must be sent to us together with proof of payment): –
However, this is not a reason to buy a decryption tool from scammers. There is no guarantee that your files will be returned in their original condition.
At the last stage of the infection stage, this ransomware deletes all shadow volumes on your computer. After that, you will not be able to carry out the standard procedure for recovering your encrypted data using these shadow volumes. There are two solutions to remove Quimera Ransomware and decrypt your files. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
How Quimera ransomware gets on my computer?
– Spam attachments and hyperlinks
– Software vulnerabilities and exploits
– Malicious sites
– Backdoors (defects of the algorithm that are intentionally built into it by the developer and allow you to gain unauthorized access to data or remote control of the operating system and the computer as a whole)
In the process of its work, Quimera places an executable file with a random name in the% TEMP% folder, modifies the Windows registry, disables the system restore function at boot, and performs all of some other actions. The encryption process itself takes from a few seconds to several minutes. In order to remove Quimera Ransomware and decrypt your files, as usual, we have 2 options, manual and automatic.
How to remove Quimera Ransomware?
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Quimera Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Quimera Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Quimera Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Quimera Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Quimera Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Quimerat-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data lose is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.