What is RobbinHood ransomware?
RobbinHood is a cryptovirus that seeks to infect all the computers in the same network. After infiltration, it immediately starts encrypting all personal files on the victim’s machine so that he or she can’t access them. Then, the virus proceeds to the next stage – trying to gain access to networks and infect as many computers as possible. If it manages to do this, victims become targets of blackmail. Nevertheless, we advise you not to pay ransom cost, as there is no guarantee that these people would return your data. Alternatively, you may use our guide to remove RobbinHood ransomware and decrypt .enc_robbin_hood files
When the encryption is finished and the data on your computer is encoded, you’re getting an offer – money in exchange for the decryption key. This is where social engineering methods start to work. The amount of ransom is always different, in our example: 3 bitcoins for one computer or 7 bitcoins for all affected computers. The exact amount of the ransom and further actions to restore your data are provided in 4 ransom notes: _Decryption_ReadMe.html, _Decrypt_Files.html, _Help_Help_Help.html, and _Help_Important.html.
Here’s what the note says:
What happened to your files?
All your files are encrypted with RSA-4096, Read more on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)
RSA is an algorithm used by modern computers to encrypt and decrypt the data. RSA is an asymmetric cryptographic algorithm. Asymmetric means that there are two different keys. This is also called public key cryptography, because one of the keys can be given to anyone:
1 – We encrypted your files with our “Public key”
2 – You can decrypt, the encrypted files with specific “Private key” and your private key is in our hands ( It’s not possible to recover your files without our private key )
Is it possible to get back your data?
Yes, We have a decrypter with all your private keys. We have two options to get all your data back.
Follow the instructions to get all your data back:
Step 1 : You must send us 3 Bitcoin(s) for each affected system
Step 2 : Inform us in panel with hostname(s) of the system you want, wait for confirmation and get your decrypter
Step 1 : You must send us 7 Bitcoin(s) for all affected system
Step 2 : Inform us in panel, wait for confirmation and get all your decrypters
Our Bitcoin address is: xxxxxxxxxxx
BE CAREFUL, THE COST OF YOUR PAYMENT INCREASES $10,000 EACH DAY AFTER THE FOURTH DAY
Access to the panel ( Contact us )
The panel address: http://xbt4titax4pzza6w.onion/xxxx/
Access to the panel using Tor Browser
If non of our links are accessible you can try tor browser to get in touch with us:
Step 1: Download Tor Browser from here: https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en
Step 2: Run Tor Browser and wait to connect
Step 3: Visit our website at: panel address
If you’re having a problem with using Tor Browser, Ask Google: how to use tor browser
Wants to make sure we have your decrypter?
To make sure we have your decrypter you can upload at most 3 files (maximum size allowance is 10 MB in total) and get your data back as a demo.
Where to buy Bitcoin?
The easiest way is LocalBitcoins, but you can find more websites to buy bitcoin using Google Search: buy bitcoin online
We strongly recommend not to comply with their requirements because there are no guarantees that you will obtain your files when the transaction happens. On the contrary, there is a high risk of being deceived and simply left with nothing. Of course, they claim the opposite, that it is supposedly not in their interests to trick you. Think for yourself, why should they send you the key, if they have already received a ransom from you? The only reliable way to solve the problem is to remove RobbinHood ransomware from the system using appropriate software in order to stop the malicious actions of the virus and then restore your data from the backup.
Screenshot of RobbinHood Ransomware Tor site:
At the last stage of the infection stage, this ransomware may delete all shadow volumes on your computer. After that, you will not be able to carry out the standard procedure for recovering your encrypted data using these shadow volumes. There are two solutions to remove RobbinHood Ransomware and decrypt your files. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
Screenshot of fake Windows Update you might see during the encryption:
How RobbinHood ransomware gets on my computer?
– Spam attachments and hyperlinks
– Software vulnerabilities and exploits
– Malicious sites
– Backdoors (defects of the algorithm that are intentionally built into it by the developer and allow you to gain unauthorized access to data or remote control of the operating system and the computer as a whole)
How to remove RobbinHood ransomware?
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will prevent system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the RobbinHood ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Try Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery is one of the most effective tools that can recover lost and corrupted files — documents, emails, pictures, videos, audio files, and more — on any Windows device. The powerful scan engine can detect compromised files and finally save them to specified destination. Despite its advancedness, it’s very concise and simple so that even the most inexperienced user can figure it out.
Email security is the first line of defense against ransomware viruses. To do this, we recommend that you use MailWasher. MailWasher blocks ransomware viruses coming through spam and phishing, and automatically detects malicious attachments and URLs. In addition, malicious messages can be blocked even before the recipient opens them. Since the main source of the spread of ransomware viruses are infected emails, antispam significantly reduces the risk of a virus appearing on your computer.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Once RobbinHood ransomware has been successfully removed, you can begin the file decryption procedure:
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
How to decrypt files infected by RobbinHood Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of RobbinHood Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Click infected file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
No one is safe from infection with a virus that secretly encrypts your data. But in order to minimize this risk, you need to follow the rules:
1. Always make Windows updates on time and keep them up to date. Remember that these updates close the security holes in the system through which the virus can enter your computer.
2. The most efficient way to avoid data loss is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer. It is enough just to synchronize the necessary folders with one of the cloud services, so as not to be afraid to see the text requiring the payment of bitcoins in exchange for a decryption key. It can be a cloud or a remote hard drive on the network. If you store all your files on the Internet, the likelihood of virus infection will be lower. Do not make copies to external hard drives, as this could damage them.
3. Since spam email is the most popular form of spreading ransomware-type viruses, the user should never open email attachments without first having scanned them with antivirus. Just clicking on the link or opening the attachment can damage the operating system (Windows) in a few minutes, damage important data and infect other machines with the virus.
4. All previous methods do not matter if you do not have a reliable antivirus. The presence of anti-virus protection on your computer can prevent all these unpleasant surprises. Anti-virus protection will protect you from malware, money loss, time loss, invasion of your personal life. Now the antivirus market is so huge that it is difficult to make a choice in favor of one of them. If you have not decided who to give preference to, we suggest you familiarize yourself with our Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows