Infected with Scarab-Rebus Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Scarab-Rebus Ransomware
Scarab-Rebus Ransomware is an encrypting virus belonging to the Rebus family. It encrypts user data, such as documents, photos, media files, etc., by modifying file names to random numbers and symbols. Scarab-Rebus Ransomware has become most active in May this year, this is aimed primarily at English-speaking users. It modifies files extensions to .REBUS.
Here are some examples of encrypted files:
If your files got another extension, please check all Scarab Ransomware versions and extensions in the list:
Scarab Ransomware – .scorpio, .scarab
Scarab-Please – .please
Scarab-Crypto – .crypto
Amnesia – .amnesia, .@decrypt_files2017, .email@example.com or .TRMT
Scarab-XTBL(Oblivion) – .xtbl, .oblivion
Horsia – .firstname.lastname@example.org
Scarab-Walker – .JohnnieWalker
Scarab-Osk – .osk
Scarab-Rebus – .rebus
Scarab-DiskDoctor – .diskdoctor
Scarab-Bomber – .bomber, .email@example.com or .firstname.lastname@example.org
Among other things, Scarab-Rebus Ransomware removes hidden copies of key files, operating system restores points and so on, in order to deprive the user of the opportunity to restore previous system states or restore encrypted files. In some cases, Scarab-Rebus Ransomware can completely block your system, so you can not call the task manager or simply collapse the pop-ups. Thus, developers try to earn money by offering different ways of decrypting (price varies in the region of $ 700). Scarab-Rebus Ransomware creates a text file named REBUS RECOVERY INFORMATION.TXT, which contains the following information:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you dont get reply in 24 hours use jabber:
Letter must include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In response letter You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in the convenient way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
- It doesn't make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
- Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
- Just contact with us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
- When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key
The user is asked to pay money to get a special decryptor, but in fact, the user runs the risk of being deceived. Very often the user gets nothing or the provided utility (program) does not work. As it becomes clear, the developers demand to pay bitcoins in order to avoid punishment for their dubious activities. Do not pay at all! This is deception and fraud. You can use our instructions listed below to get rid of Scarab-Rebus Ransomware right now.
How Scarab-Rebus Ransomware infected your PC
Typically, Scarab-Rebus Ransomware penetrates the PC through unprotected networks or in e-mail attachments. This works in the background, so at first the user can not notice the penetration of this virus. You can use special anti-viruses with crypto protection functions, for example HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Scarab-Rebus Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Scarab-Rebus Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Scarab-Rebus Ransomware:
Related emails and folders:
Remove following files:
REBUS RECOVERY INFORMATION.TXT
How to decrypt files infected by Scarab-Rebus Ransomware?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt Spora files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Scarab-Rebus Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Scarab-Rebus Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Scarab-Rebus Ransomware by Scarab-Rebus Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .REBUS files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by Tim Kas