Infected with Shit ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Shit ransomware
Shit ransomware is new virus from Locky family. Actually, it infects files using the same way – like previous variants, ransomware is installed using a DLL that is executed by Rundll32.exe. After execution it attacks files of 380 various file extension and encrypts them using AES encryption. After this it appends .shit extension to all encoded files and demands ransom of 3 BitCoins (~$1950). Ransomware creates 3 files: _WHAT_is.html, _[2_digit_number]_WHAT_is.html, and _WHAT_is.bmp. This files contain texts encouraging users to pay the ransom. Mention, that Locky or Shit developers do not bother to send decryption keys, that is why there is no purpose to pay the malefactors. Use instructions below to decrypt .shit files and remove Shit ransomware virus completely from Windows 10, 7, 8, Vista or XP.
How Shit ransomware infected your PC
Shit ransomware uses spam e-mail attachments to infect users computers. “Receipt [random-number]”. Virus is hidden inside archives of HTA, JS, or WSF documents attached to such e-mails. If user downloads this archive and opens HTA, JS, or WSF file, virus will run DLL files using system file Rundll32.exe. Once uses does it there is no way back because it will soon download small executable and will run it to encrypt files in user folders. Antiviruses have a small chance to catch Shit ransomware virus as it is constantly modified. The only way to protect your computer from such threats is use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
What to do if you are infected with Shit ransomware virus?
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Shit ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Shit ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Shit ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Shit ransomware (.shit files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Trend Micro that may decrypt .Shit files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Shit ransomware. Download it here:
There is currently no other automated decryption tool for Shit ransomware files, but that doesn’t mean that you need to pay the ransom. We track the topic and will add any new decryption tool available in this part of the article. Now you can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .Shit files.
Decrypt .Shit files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Shit ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by Shit ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .shit files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov