Infected with Thor ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Thor ransomware
Thor is another variant of Locky ransomware that uses RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption algorithms to encode files. Virus got its name because it adds .thor extension to all ciphered files. It also modifies filenames using random characters and numbers, so it becomes hard to distinguish files. Mostly malware affects user documents, pictures, videos, game files. Thor ransomware demands ransom of 3 BitCoins (~$1950). Ransomware creates 2 files: _WHAT_is.html and _WHAT_is.bmp. This files contain instructions for users to pay the ransom and get decryptor. Mention, that Locky or Thor developersnever send decryption keys and it is no purpose to pay the hackers. Read the article below to decrypt .thor files and remove Thor ransomware virus completely from Windows 10, 7, 8, Vista or XP.
How Thor ransomware infected your PC
Thor ransomware uses spam e-mail attachments to infect users computers. “Receipt [random-number]”. Virus is hidden inside archives of HTA, JS, or WSF documents attached to such e-mails. If user downloads this archive and opens HTA, JS, or WSF file, virus will run DLL files using system file Rundll32.exe. Once uses does it there is no way back because it will soon download small executable and will run it to encrypt files in user folders. Antiviruses have a small chance to catch Thor ransomware virus as it is constantly modified. The only way to protect your computer from such threats is use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
What to do if you are infected with Thor ransomware virus?
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Thor ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Thor ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Thor ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Thor ransomware (.thor files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Trend Micro that may decrypt .Thor files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Thor ransomware. Download it here:
There is currently no other automated decryption tool for Thor ransomware files, but that doesn’t mean that you need to pay the ransom. We track the topic and will add any new decryption tool available in this part of the article. Now you can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .Thor files.
Decrypt .Thor files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Thor ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by Thor ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .thor files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov