Infected with Velso Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Velso Ransomware
Velso Ransomware is crypto-virus, that secretly infiltrates computers and encrypts user data. It encrypts files using symmetric or asymmetric cryptography (AES encryption) and appends .velso or .david extension. When encryption finishes, virus creates get_my_files.txt file with following text:
Hello. If you want to return files, write me to e-mail MerlinVelso@protonmail.com
Your userkey: *****
*** ALL YOUR WORK AND PERSONAL FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED ***
To decrypt your files you need to buy the special software
You can find out the details / buy decryptor + key / ask questions by contact for communication (email): email@example.com
Your userkey: *****
Velso Ransomware affects many types of files, that can be important for users: photos, videos, documents, project files of popular programs. The ID of the key and victim is generated by CryptGenRandom using AES-256 OpenSSL in ECB mode. Ransomware ask from $500 to $1000 ransom in BitCoins. Often, ransomware developers ignore victims after receiving the payment or send wrong decryption keys or decryptors. Use instructions on this page to attempt decryption of files affected by Velso Ransomware. We prepared instructions below to explain how to remove Velso Ransomware and decrypt .velso or .david files.
How Velso Ransomware infected your PC
At this moment, we know that several e-mails are used to distribute .docx files with malicious macroses. E-mails are distributed all over the world. You can also get this ransomware on file-sharing networks, including torrent files. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as the user in this network is often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Velso Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Velso Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Velso Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files and folders:
How to decrypt files infected by Velso Ransomware (.velso or .david files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .velso or .david files. It is free and may help you restore .velso or .david files encrypted by Velso Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .velso or .david files.
Decrypt .velso or .david files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Velso Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Velso Ransomware by Velso Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .velso or .david files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov