Infected with XeroWare ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is XeroWare ransomware
XeroWare is a crypto-extortionist which encrypts user files using various algorithms, the main one of which is AES. The full name of this virus is XeroWare Ransom 1.2. This cryptovirus became most active in early July of this year and infects a huge number of systems around the world. It encrypts user files of various kinds, such as office documents, PDF files, videos and photos, archives and much more. As it becomes clear, XeroWare selects the files most relevant to the user. In addition, it sets .XERO as file extensions. After these actions, decryption of the attacked files becomes impossible. In addition, it removes all shadow copies of files and system restore points. The virus creates a special text document XeroWare_ReadME.txt, which contains information about the method of redemption. The image of this is shown below:
text contained in the note:
Your files have been encrypted and your computer has been infected with XeroWare Ransom 1.2.
1) What Should I do?
A: Pay the specific amount we are asking from you in order to decrypt your files.
2) Can i try to remove the malware?
A: If you try anything your files will be removed, YOU have been WARNED.
3) How can i pay in order to decrypt my files ?
A: Copy the provided btc address and send the money.
4) How do i verify my payment?
A: You provide the payment transaction ID and you click confirm transaction.
5) What will happen if the payment transaction is not valid?
A: If you try to provide anything alike to fake or not valid your files will be destroyed permanetly.
6) I have paid and verified my transaction how do i decrypt my files?
A: If you have paid and verified your transaction just simply click the decrypt button and everything will revert back to normal.
You have 96 hours in order to complete that task, otherwise your files will be destroyed.
Time has already started...
The note says that the user must pay the ransom to get their files back to their original state. Scammers chose bitcoins as a currency to avoid punishment for their actions. One can say unequivocally, all this is a fraud. In no case do not pay the attackers, they will return you nothing. We recommend you to read our guide on how to remove XeroWare and decrypt .XERO files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How XeroWare ransomware infected your PC
Most users either do not have an antivirus program, or they use free versions that cannot protect a computer from attacking such threats. As a rule, XeroWare penetrates through unprotected networks or as an attachment to spam mailings. If you find this on your PC, by no means try to do it yourself, it’s better to use our recommendations to decrypt your files and get rid of XeroWare right now.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the XeroWare ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to XeroWare ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of XeroWare ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by XeroWare ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of XeroWare ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi