Windows Messenger is a built-in in Windows program to send messages. Also there is Windows Messenger service, which helps to produce pop up ads via IP addresses. There two programs are absolutely different things, they have just the similar names. You do not use Windows Messenger on your computer, then it can be very annoying. So, it would better for you to uninstall Windows Messenger.
In order to uninstall Windows Messenger you should know the version of your Windows Messenger.
Windows Messenger 4.0 and its later versions can be removed with the help of the following actions:
- You can remove this version from your computer, using the Command Prompt. For that you should press Win+R buttons, then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- You should expand the following items:
- Local Computer Policy
- Computer Configuration
- Administrative Templates
- Windows Components
- Windows Messenger
- Then you should double-click on Do not allow Windows Messenger to run and click Enabled.
- Confirm the changes, clicking Ok and close the window.
If you have Windows Messenger 4.5, then you this method:
- In order to remove Windows Messenger of this version you should use the Registry Editor. So, press Win+R buttons and type regedit in the line and press OK.
- Navigate the following registry entry:
You should remove it.
- If this folder does not exist in the directory, then you should click on Edit button. Click on New, click Key and type Messenger.
- The click on New again and click DWORD Value and then type PreventRun for the DWORD value.
- You should right-click PreventRun value, modify it, typing 1 in the Value box. Confirm the changes. Then you can close the Registry Editor.
If this method was not useful or something seemed to you hard to perform, then you are welcome to perform some other instructions. You should navigate the following directory:
ComputerLocal disk Cprogram Files. If you see that Messeger folder is in this directory, then you know where you should remove its files.
There is a problem that it is impossible to uninstall Windows Messenger, using the system utility Add/Remove programs. Some experts think that the manual removal of Windows Messenger is not safe. So, you should use Revo Uinstaller , it has Forced Uninstall function, which should be used in this case. This program will give you the opportunity to remove Windows Messenger files and registry keys. You should just put the ticks in the needed places, which should be removed and press Delete button.
You also can use any other uninstaller, for example Free Uninstall It. You can download it here.