Infected with Argus Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Argus Ransomware
Argus is a regular cryptographer who encrypts user files of various formats, including office documents, audio and video files, multimedia, archives and much more. It encrypts files using the AES algorithm and removes shadow copies of files and system restore points, which makes self-recovery impossible. Moreover, it changes the victim file extensions on .ARGUS. It should be noted that Argus is aimed at English-speaking users, however, according to the latest data, this virus has already spread almost all over the world. Like similar threats, it creates a special ARGUS-DECRYPT.html file that contains information about redemption and payment methods. Here is this file:
.-=| ARGUS CRYPTOR V1.0 |=-.
All your files, documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted!
The only method of recovering files is to purchase an unique private key. Only WE can recover your files!
You can get the private key by email as well as through a closed TOR network. You can get there by the following ways
Main email : email@example.com
Reserved email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the instructions
If the answer for a long time no
Download Tor browser - https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy
Install Tor browser
Open Tor Browser
Open link in TOR browser: http://argusqug6aw25gye.onion/
Follow the instructions on this page
You can get the opportunity to decrypt 1 file for free.
IN ORDER TO PREVENT DATA DAMAGE:
* DO NOT MODIFY ENCRYPTED FILES
* DO NOT DELETE ENCRYPTED FILES
* DO NOT RENAME ENCRYPTED FILES
The cost of the ransom is not specified, however, according to the victims, fraudsters may demand a ransom of up to several thousand dollars in cryptocurrency equivalent. Cryptocurrency chosen in order to avoid prosecution by the law. Of course, you already understand that it is impossible to pay intruders. Moreover, no one guarantees you the decryption of your files. We suggest you read our recommendations to delete Argus and decrypt your files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Argus infected your PC
The types and properties of cryptoviruses are constantly changing every day, but the paths of penetration on the PC of the victims remain the same. As a rule, this comes in the form of false updates for programs or as an attachment in a spam ezine. This is due to the vulnerability of network settings due to the lack of proper antivirus software on your computer. We recommend that you remove Argus using our recommendations.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Argus virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
WiperSoft – fully removes all instances of Argus – files, folders, registry keys.
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Data Recovery Pro.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Choose all files on folder you want to restore and select Restore.
- Choose export location and view restored files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Argus:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Argus?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Argus remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi