Infected with 777? Need to decrypt your files?
What is 777
.777 is file extension of files encrypted by recently appeared ransomware called 777 Virus or 777 Ransomware, that targets computers running Windows OS. Malware uses asymmetric encryption and generates two decryption keys (private and public). Hackers ask for ransom of $500 or $1500 to decrypt files. Usually users have to pay in BitCoins. Users need to send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive message like shown below, with instructions to pay the ransom. Virus also creates text file on the desktop called read_this_file.txt. 777 Ransomware encrypts important images and documents determining .doc, .xls , .pdf, .jpg, .png extensions of the files. The good news are, that there is free decryptor available to decrypt .777 files for free. Read about it and download it in this tutorial. Here we show how to remove 777 Ransomware and methods to decrypt .777 files.
How 777 infected your PC
777 ransomware is similar to other ransomware threats and distributes using the same instruments (malicious emails, torrent networks, fake updates). Crypto-viruses are hardly detectable by classic antiviruses and we recommend to use special software. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the 777 virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to 777 – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of 777:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by 777 (.777 files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Emsisoft that can decrypt .777 files. It is free and may help you restore files 777 by 777 Virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .777 files.
Decrypt .777 files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of 777 remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – 777 by 777). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .777 files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov