Infected with Aesir ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Aesir ransomware
Aesir is another ransomware-type virus from Locky family. It still uses RSA-2048 and AES-128 algorithms to encrypt user files. Now virus targets more than 450 types of files. After encrypting
malware adds .aesir suffix and modifies filenames. Aesir ransomware demands user to pay ransom of 3 BitCoins (~$2200) to decrypt files, but never send the keys. Ransomware creates 3 files on users computers: INSTRUCTION.bmp, -INSTRUCTION.html and _1-INSTRUCTION.html. This files contain instructions for users to pay the ransom and get decryptor. Image is used to set as background and also contains ransom-note with payment details. Note, that Locky or Aesir developers never send decryption keys and there is no purpose to pay the ransom. Besides you put your bank details at risk, as payment is performed on suspicious websites to shady BitCoin wallets. Perform instructions in this tutorial to remove Aesir ransomware virus decrypt .aesir files on Windows 10, 7, 8, Vista or XP.
How Aesir ransomware infected your PC
Aesir ransomware uses spam e-mail attachments to infect users computers. It can be called “Receipt [random-number]”. Virus is hidden inside archives of HTA, JS, or WSF documents attached to such e-mails. If user downloads this archive and opens HTA, JS, or WSF file, virus will run DLL files using system file Rundll32.exe. Once uses does it there is no way back because it will soon download small executable and will run it to encrypt files in user folders. Antiviruses have a small chance to catch Aesir ransomware virus as it is constantly modified. The only way to protect your computer from such threats is use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
What to do if you are infected with Aesir ransomware virus?
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Aesir ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Aesir ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Aesir ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Aesir ransomware (.aesir files)?
Use automated decryption tools
1. Aesir decryption tool from Kaspersky
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .aesir files. It is free and may help you restore .aesir files encrypted by Vegclass Ransomware virus. Download it here:
1. Aesir decryption tool from Trend Micro
There is ransomware decryptor from Trend Micro that may decrypt .aesir files. It is free and may help you restore files encrypted by Aesir ransomware. Download it here:
There is currently no other automated decryption tool for Aesir ransomware files, but that doesn’t mean that you need to pay the ransom. We track the topic and will add any new decryption tool available in this part of the article. Now you can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .aesir files.
Decrypt .aesir files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Aesir ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – encrypted by Aesir ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .aesir files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov