Infected with AresCrypt? Need to decrypt your files?
What is AresCrypt
AresCrypt is a fraudulent cryptovirus aimed at extorting user money. It encrypts user files, using AES algorithm, and change their extension to .arescrypt, after these the files become unusable. Photos, videos, office documents, archives and many other files can be encrypted by this virus. Manual recovery of files is complicated by the fact that it removes all shadow copies of files and system restore points, so you can not return the system to an earlier state. The virus is activated every time the user starts the computer. Scammers leave a special note containing the terms of the ransom. Attackers pay ransom through the cryptocurrency, in particular, bitcoin, the amount of redemption reaches several hundred dollars. Scammers use the fact that users are afraid for the safety of their files and are ready to pay any amount. Do not pay at all. All that the intruders say is lies and manipulation. Use our recommendations listed below to remove AresCrypt and decrypt your files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How AresCrypt infected your PC
Typically, AresCrypt comes as an update for programs installed on your PC or as an extension that the user downloads, trusting the suggestions of dishonest developers. Also, it can leak through unprotected network settings or as an attachment to spam mailing. The methods of penetration may differ for cryptoviruses, but the conclusion suggests only one – you need to prevent infection with such malicious programs. Use advanced versions of antivirus programs that can protect against such attacks. If your files are already encrypted, then use our guide on how to remove AresCrypt and restore your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the AresCrypt virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to AresCrypt – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of AresCrypt:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by AresCrypt?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of AresCrypt remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi