What is Clicker?
Clicker is malware that disguises itself as harmless utilities such as cameras, currency/unit converters, QR code scans, note-taking applications and dictionaries. Infected programs have been downloaded more than 20 million times. Malicious codes were found, in particular, in the applications High-Speed Camera (more than 10 million downloads), Smart Task Manager (more than 5 million downloads), Flashlight (more than 1 million downloads), K-Dictionary (more than 1 million downloads) and Joycode (more than 100 thousand downloads). After installing such an application, the virus begins to secretly visit fake websites, simulate clicks on advertising, without informing the user of the gadget. In addition, such malware activity is fraught for smartphone users with excessive consumption of paid Internet traffic, as well as rapid battery discharge. You may follow this guide to remove Clicker Trojan from Android devices. Use this guide to rid your smartphone or tablet of viruses.
What should I do to avoid getting infected with the Clicker virus?
With the growing number of mobile device users, the number of viruses has also increased. If earlier Trojans that change settings and infect other files (for example, Skulls for Symbian) were the most dangerous, then modern hacker developments are able to make the gadget stop turning on, deleting the information necessary for the OS. To avoid similar situations in the future:
- Prohibit installations from third-party sources in the settings. You will still be able to download games, movies, music, books, programs from the Play Market store, files in which are manually and automatically checked;
- Download the antivirus. Do not abuse this point – just one such application is enough, simultaneous use of several will cause the device to slow down;
- Check the permissions of the existing software, remove the checkboxes from the “Change system settings” item for services that do not belong to reliable publishers, such as Google.
Recommended Anti-malware tool:
Norton Mobile Security protects your Android smartphones and tablets from malicious and potentially dangerous applications, theft or loss of information, fraudulent websites created to steal personal data or money, and other threats.
Reset to Factory Settings
It will not be so easy to remove the application from the device. Definitely, it is necessary to reset the device to factory settings. Keep in mind that this will lead to the loss of personal data. Before performing the procedure, perform a backup.
- Start up your device in Recovery Mode using previous instruction
- Select the “Factory Reset” option, a notification will appear that it is impossible to reverse the changes;
- After completing the process, restart the phone by clicking on “Reboot“.