Infected with Dharma Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Dharma Ransomware
Dharma virus is new variation of Crysis ransomware, and it uses asymmetric cryptography to encrypt user files (documents, music, photos, game files). If you see, that your filenames end on .dharma, .wallet, .zzzzz, .xtbl there is a great possibility you are infected with Dharma Ransomware. This new threat adds following extensions to compromised files:
[email@example.com].wallet", "[firstname.lastname@example.org].xtbl", ".[email@example.com].dharma", ".[Mkliukang@india.com].wallet" or .[firstname.lastname@example.org].wallet or ".[email@example.com].dharma
Dharma ransomware does not change desktop background and creates text files in every folder with encrypted files. Those files are: README.txt or Document.txt.[firstname.lastname@example.org].zzzzz depending on the version. There is only 1 contact e-mail (email@example.com), that hackers offer to ask for decryptor. Ransom amount is currently unknown, but we can suggest it is between 1 to 3 BitCoins ($600 – $2000).
How Dharma Ransomware infected your PC
Dharma ransomware usually infects your PC through infected email attachments (be careful, as cyber criminals usually mask their spam malicious emails with attachments into Ebay email or any other popular trusted website), fake software updaters and trojans – that’s why good anti-viruses is vitally important to avoid ransomware threat. You can also get this ransomware on file sharing networks, including torrent files. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Dharma Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Dharma Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Dharma Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Dharma Ransomware (.dharma files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .dharma files. It is free and may help you restore .dharma files encrypted by Dharma Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .dharma files.
Decrypt .dharma files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Dharma Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Dharma Ransomware by Dharma Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .dharma files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov