If you’re a Mac user, you may have come across an adware called EdgeCommand that can compromise your online privacy and security. This adware, which belongs to the AdLoad malware family, often enters your computer without your knowledge through software bundling techniques. Once installed, EdgeCommand can redirect your browser, display intrusive ads, and collect your personal information. In this article, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to remove EdgeCommand from your Mac and protect your online experience.
Understanding EdgeCommand Adware
EdgeCommand is a type of adware that is known for running intrusive advertisement campaigns. It is designed to display ads on visited sites and other interfaces, often promoting online scams, untrustworthy software, and potential malware. While some legitimate products may be advertised through this platform, it is highly unlikely that any official parties endorse them in this manner. The ads displayed by EdgeCommand are typically generated by scammers who aim to earn illegitimate commissions through affiliate programs.
How EdgeCommand Adware is Installed
EdgeCommand is often installed on Mac computers through software bundling techniques. It is bundled with freeware, such as games, tools, utilities, download managers, and media players. When users install this free software, adware like EdgeCommand is also downloaded and installed on their browsers. The browser’s software configuration is then changed, redirecting the homepage and other important pages to an unwanted search engine. This installation process happens without the user’s knowledge or consent.
The Dangers of EdgeCommand Adware
Aside from the annoying browser redirect issues, EdgeCommand poses serious privacy risks to Mac users. The hacked browser can be used by the adware to collect various online data, including search queries, frequently visited websites, and personally identifiable information. This information can then be used by third parties for malicious purposes, such as identity theft and targeted advertising. It is crucial to remove EdgeCommand from your Mac to protect your online privacy and security.
Step 1: Scan Your Mac with SpyHunter
The first step in removing EdgeCommand adware from your Mac is to scan your computer with SpyHunter. SpyHunter is a trusted Mac utility application that provides antivirus and optimization features. It is capable of detecting and removing adware, malware, and potentially unwanted programs like EdgeCommand.
Try SpyHunter for Mac
Step 2: Delete EdgeCommand from Mac Applications
After scanning your Mac with SpyHunter, it’s time to remove EdgeCommand from your Mac applications. Follow the steps below:
- Go to Finder and click on the Go menu.
- Select Applications from the list to open the Applications folder.
- Find EdgeCommand or any suspicious program and drag it to the Trash bin to delete it from your Mac.
- Right-click on the Trash icon and click Empty Trash to permanently remove EdgeCommand from your Mac.
Step 3: Remove Browser Extensions
EdgeCommand adware often installs browser extensions to display intrusive ads and redirect your browsing. Follow the steps below to remove these browser extensions:
- Open Safari and click on the Safari menu.
- Select Preferences and click on the Extensions icon.
- In the Extensions window, locate EdgeCommand or any suspicious extensions and click on Remove or Uninstall to remove them.
- Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
- Open Google Chrome and type “chrome://settings/” in the address bar.
- Click on Extensions in the left pane.
- Locate EdgeCommand or any suspicious extensions and click on Remove to uninstall them.
- Close the browser and move on to the next steps.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the Menu button.
- Select Add-ons from the menu.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, click on Extensions.
- Find EdgeCommand or any suspicious extensions and click on Remove to delete them.
- Close the browser and continue with the next steps.
Step 4: Delete Malicious Files
EdgeCommand adware may create malicious files on your Mac to ensure its persistence. Follow the steps below to delete these files:
- Copy the string “~/Library/LaunchAgents” to your clipboard.
- Go to Finder and click on Go in the menu bar.
- Select Go to Folder and paste the copied string in the text field.
- Press Return to go to the LaunchAgents folder.
- Look for files with names like “com.EdgeCommand” or any unfamiliar entries.
- Drag these suspicious files to the Trash bin and empty the Trash.
- Restart your computer.
- Repeat the process for the folders “~/Library/Application Support”, “/Library/LaunchAgents”, “/Library/LaunchDaemons”, and “/Library/Application Support” to delete any remaining EdgeCommand-related files.
- Finally, open the Applications folder and delete any subfolders named “EdgeCommand”.
Step 5: Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
To ensure that EdgeCommand adware has been completely removed from your Mac, you can use the Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac tool. Follow these steps:
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from their official website.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
- Once installed, open Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac and click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
- After the scan is complete, Malwarebytes will display a list of identified threats, including EdgeCommand. Select all items in the list and click the Remove button to clean your computer.
Step 6: Remove EdgeCommand from Homepage and Search
To ensure that EdgeCommand no longer affects your browser settings, follow the steps below to remove it from your homepage and search engine:
- Open Safari and go to the Safari menu.
- Select Preferences and go to the General tab.
- In the Default Search Engine section, select a legitimate search engine like Google.
- Make sure the “New Windows Open With” field is set to Homepage.
- Remove any EdgeCommand-related URLs from the Homepage field and replace them with your preferred URL.
- Open Google Chrome and go to the Chrome menu.
- Select Preferences and click on “On Startup” in the sidebar.
- Choose “Open a specific page or set of pages” and click on Edit.
- Replace the unwanted homepage with your preferred URL and click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine section and click on “Manage search engines…”. Delete any EdgeCommand-related search engines and choose a legitimate search engine as the default.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and type “about:preferences” in the address bar.
- Go to the Home tab and choose Firefox Home or Custom URLs.
- If you choose Custom URLs, enter your preferred URL to replace EdgeCommand settings.
- In the Search tab, select a legitimate search engine as the default and remove any unwanted search engines.
Optional: Remove Locked Files
If you encounter locked files that cannot be removed, follow these steps:
- Go to Launchpad and open the Utilities folder.
- Open Activity Monitor and select the process related to EdgeCommand.
- Click on the Force Quit button to quit the process.
- Now you can delete or remove the locked files associated with EdgeCommand adware.
Removing EdgeCommand adware from your Mac is crucial to protect your online privacy and security. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can effectively remove EdgeCommand and restore your browser to its default and secure state. Remember to regularly scan your Mac with trusted antivirus software and be cautious when downloading and installing software from unknown sources. Stay vigilant and keep your Mac free from adware and other potential threats.