What is an extension?
Browser Extension – is an application, which is integrated into browsers. Those applications help us a lot in different areas of our web activity. We can reach needed websites, find interesting information faster or without making efforts. There are many kinds of extensions, news, shopping, TV & radio, weather info, etc. Be careful, there are bad extensions too, that can collect your personal information and share it, or creates annoying advertisements on webpages that you visit. Poor applications, also called potentially unwanted software, can be the reason of some troubles, so better to delete them, as fast as possible. You may remove them by yourself, but it is not fully removing. For total removing – use special removal tools. Extension is a little program for your browser that add new features or functionality. It let you add dictionaries, new features, simplify working with documents. Also, you can use it to change themes or to play back flash data of web pages. Currently, there are many extensions for all users. Ad blockers, password manager, notes, searching for goods and services, calls from a browser, etc. There are several types of add-ons.
Add-ons change browser functionality. For example it allows you to block advertisements, download videos from the web site, integrated with social networks and add features. Basically Firefox add-on can be divided into 3 groups – Plugins, Themes and
For example: Search Engines: – tools that help you to search the information through any sites by various search engines. Dictionaries: – add support for languages, help you check spelling etc.
Themes change the entire appearance of Firefox, usually including icons, colors, dialogs, and other visual styles.
Help user to display the various types of media, such as Adobe Flash or Apple Quicktime, PDF, etc. Of course, add-on is a very useful thing. But many extensions developed to make the money, to distribute advertising, to steal personal information, to access to your files and infect your PC.
Manual extension removal
You can skip steps 1-2 by typing “about:addons” in address bar or pressing Shift+Ctrl+A.
- Open Mozilla Firefox;
- Press Alt+T or Click Tools on the top of the browser;
- Click Add-ons;
- Click Extensions;
- Find unwanted extension;
- Click Disable or Remove.
The extension can also be installed by another program, and if you remove the extension from the browser, the program itself can reinstall it again, therefore the above method is not always effective. In this case, to completely remove the extension, you will have to remove the associated program.
- Click Start.
- Control Panel.
- Then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Onlinereviewsapptab.com hijacker.
- Click Uninstall.
Learn more about uninstallation of programs in Windows XP.
Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- Click Start.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Onlinereviewsapptab.com and click Uninstall.
Learn more about uninstallation of programs in Windows 7.
Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Open the Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Then as in Windows 7, click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Onlinereviewsapptab.com, select it and click Uninstall.
Learn more about uninstallation of programs in Windows 8 (8.1).
- Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, click on the Settings at the top.
- Click on App & features on the left menu.
- On the right side, locate Onlinereviewsapptab.com and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
Learn more about uninstallation of programs in Windows 10
Note: If you can’t find required program, sort programs by date in Control panel and search for last installed programs.
Automatic extension removal
Choose one of three choices of automatic removal:
- Avast Browser Cleanup
- Open Avast Browser Cleanup;
- Click on the Mozilla Firefox Tab (Firefox icon);
- Unmark Exclude add-ons with a good rating for showing high rate extensions, that mighty be bad too;
- Find unwanted extensions, then click on to Remove button.
- IObit Uninstaller
- Open Iobit Uninstaller;
- Click Toolbars & Plug-ins tab;
- Find and mark unwanted extensions;
- Click Remove button.
- Stronghold AntiMalware
- Open Stronghold AntiMalware;
- Click Tools button;
- Click Toolbar Remover button;
- Click on the Mozilla Firefox Tab and click Refresh button;
- Mark unwanted extensions, then click Remove button;
How to avoid installing unwanted extensions?
First of all always be careful when you download any programs or extensions from freeware sites like download.com, freewarefiles.com, soft32.com, etc. Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) gets into your computer bundled with installers of any adware. Read the description of the installation and don’t agree to the installation of unknown programs. But it often happens that the PUP has already got on your PC and may cause the damage to your data and operating system. But some PUP’s files remain on the computer and continue to be harmful. You need to remove all files, registry entries and folders of it. We recommend you to download Norton to quick removal of malicious extensions.
I lost Google to Television Fanatic and Ask and of course I could not find any useful help using their browser. I had to ‘google’ Google, then I found you. Thanks heaps. Funny thing is that I had nothing under ‘Programs and Features’.