Safari extensions add functionality to Safari, so you can explore the web the way you want. Extensions can show different useful information, display news, weather, help you use your favorite services, personalize the appearance of web pages, and much more. Sometimes Safari extensions can be useful, but sometimes they are no longer needed, or they can slow down your Mac or sluggish browsing . Though Mac OS is considered a secure operating system, malware can penetrate with extensions. So users want to remove them. In this article we will show you how to remove Safari extensions.
Removing extensions on Mac from Safari
- Launch the Safari app and open Safari menu and select Preferences;
- Go to the Extensions tab;
- Click on the extension you want to remove and choose Uninstall;
- This is the easy way to remove Safari extension, but you can also manually remove extensions from Safari.
Manually deleting Safari extensions on Mac
Sometimes the Extensions manager won’t be able remove the extensions itself. First method above won’t work. This is rare case, but it can happen with an incompatible extension that refuses to remove itself. If this happens, you can manually delete an extension from Safari extensions folder.
- Close Safari
- Hit Command+Shift+G from Finder to bring up Go folder then type the following path:
- Select Go and you’ll see the Safari extensions folder, delete unnecessary extensions;
- Relaunch Safari.
Removing extensions with utilities
There are special programs that can remove extensions automatically. For example, such as Bitdefender Antivirus. You can download it from here. Bitdefender Antivirus performs many functions to clean and optimize your Mac. But today we’ll show you how to remove safari extensions with this software.
Follow the instructions to remove Safari extensions:
- Quit Safari and launch Bitdefender Antivirus;
- Select Extensions on the left tab;
- Choose your browser;
- Select unwanted items by clicking checkboxes. Set the checkbox Select all to remove all extensions;
- Click Remove at the bottom of the window.