Infected with Gamma Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Gamma Ransomware
Gamma is a crypto-extortionist from the Dharma family whose activity came in September of this year. This is a Ransomware that encrypts user files of different formats. By itself, Ransomware is one of the most dangerous threats, which carries a real danger, as this makes your files unusable. After encryption, Gamma changes the extension of your files to .gamma. In fact, it uses such a template .id-(your id).[email@example.com].gamma. Files are encrypted by AES algorithm, therefore independent file recovery is an almost impossible task. The virus creates a special file-note with details of the redemption.
The note indicates the possibility of decryption of three files for free, but this is a trick. Ultimately, scammers request up to several thousand dollars for decryption. Of course, this is a huge amount of money, moreover, no one guarantees that your files will be restored. We strongly recommend that you read our recommendations to try and remove Gamma and decrypt your files.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Gamma infected your PC
In the vast majority of cases, Gamma comes through unprotected network settings, in the form of false updates for software installed on your PC or as an attachment to spam mailing. This is due to the lack of reliable anti-virus protection. Do not spare money to purchase a decent anti-virus program. If Gamma has already penetrated your PC, then use our guides to remove Gamma and restore your files.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Gamma virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Gamma – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Gamma:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Gamma?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Gamma remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Rami Douafi