Infected with GandCrab2 Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is GandCrab2 Ransomware
GandCrab2 is a successor of previous wide-spread ransomware-type virus GandCrab. This virus encrypts user data using AES-256 and RSA-2048 encryption algorithms. GandCrab2 Ransomware appends .CRAB extension to affected files. If your files have .GDCB extension see our article about another version of Gandcrab Ransomware. Following successful encryption ransomware demands ~$400 in Dash cryptocurrency. Ransom note also states, that this amount will double, if not paid in 48 hours. that After finishing encryption process virus creates CRAB-DECRYPT.txt file with following text inside:
---= GANDCRAB =---
All your files documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted and have the extension: .GDCB
The only method of recovering files is to purchase a private key. It is on our server and only we can recover your files.
The server with your key is in a closed network TOR. You can get there by the following ways:
1. Download Tor browser - https://www.torproject.org/
2. Install Tor browser
3. Open Tor Browser
4. Open link in tor browser: http://gdcbmuveqjsli57x.onion/[id]
5. Follow the instructions on this page
On our page you will see instructions on payment and get the opportunity to decrypt 1 file for free.
If you can't download TOR and use it, or in your country TOR blocked, read it:
1. Visit https://tox.chat/download.html
2. Download and install qTOX on your PC.
3. Open it, click "New Profile" and create profile.
4. Search our contact - 6C5AD4057E594E090E0C987B3089F74335DA75F04B7403E0575663C26134956917D193B195A5
5. In message please write your ID and wait our answer: 6361f798c4ba3647
Do not try to modify files or use your own private key - this will result in the loss of your data forever!
GandCrab2 Ransomware uses TOR network for hosting its webites. Previous version of GandCrab was decoded, due to mistake of its developers. Decryption keys were gained, thanks to Romanian police and MalwareHunterTeam. In the second version, malefactors use politiaromana.bit and malwarehunterteam.bit hostnames as an irony. Use this tutorial to remove GandCrab2 Ransomware and decrypt .CRAB files for free. If you won’t succeed in decryption, just preserve essential files to the time working decryptor appears.
Several researchers reported, that GandCrab Ransomware 2.1 already released. Main differencies from GandCrab 2 are another names of ransom notes: CRAB-DECRYPT.txt,
Also a number of dangerous sites was icreased. To avoid an infiltration we strongly recommend to block next domains in your firewall:
How GandCrab2 Ransomware infected your PC
It spreads through two sets of exploits: RIG EK and GrandSoft EK. GandCrab2 Ransomware is also available as RaaS on the cyber underground forums. It can also begin to spread by hacking through an unprotected RDP configuration, using email spam and malicious attachments, fraudulent downloads, web injections, fake updates, repackaged and infected installers. Ransom is asked to be paid in Dash coin, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as the user in this network is often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the GandCrab2 Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to GandCrab2 Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of GandCrab2 Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files and folders:
How to decrypt files infected by GandCrab2 Ransomware (.CRAB files)?
Restore .CRAB files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from BitDefender that can decrypt .CRAB files. It is free and may help you restore .CRAB files encrypted by GandCrab2 Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .CRAB files.
Decrypt .CRAB files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of GandCrab2 Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – GandCrab2 Ransomware by GandCrab2 Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov