Infected with Horros Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Horros Ransomware
Horros is crypto ransomware, which encrypts user data using AES-256 and RSA-2048 for the key, and then demands a ransom for decrypted files or for the decryptor. After finishing encryption process virus creates a text file with a ransom demand. To prevent infiltration, you shouldn’t allow unknown programs to run and make changes on your PC. User Account Control can help to prevent infiltration. Read our article to remove Horros Ransomware and decrypt .horros files.
How Horros Ransomware infected your PC
Horros can spread by hacking through an unprotected network configuration, using email spam and malicious attachments, fraudulent downloads, web injections, fake updates, repackaged and infected installers. Encryption adds .horros to every coded file. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Horros Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Horros Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Horros Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files and folders:
How to decrypt files infected by Horros Ransomware (.horros files)?
Decrypt .horros files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of ransomware can remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .horros files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by Tim Kas