Infected with LeChiffre? Need to decrypt your files?
What is LeChiffre
LeChiffre Ransomware is drifting on the Internet since 2015 but hasn’t been closely analyzed until recently. Developers say it uses RSA-1024 algorithm. The latest researches showed that the ransomware is surprisingly simple by its formation. To run this ingenious client the malware creators should launch it on a hijacked server to override the files for encryption. The encrypted files may be distinguished by the extension changed to .lechiffre. After the end of encryption process the cyber criminals will wipe all traces of their presence and leave the note with explanations and demands. The malware developers state the email address that should be referred to if a user wants to remove LeChiffre Ransomware and retrieve the files. However, we do not recommend this, since files affected by LeChiffre Ransomware can be easily decrypted without making any payments. Read the article below to remove LeChiffre virus and decrypt .LeChiffre files.
How LeChiffre infected your PC
LeChiffre Ransomware research sample was hard to obtain as the threat is not spread through usual for ransomware ways. So, it is unlikely to get LeChiffre Ransomware infection by spam emails, exploit kits, stealth installations triggered on malicious sites, etc. (Though, it doesn’t mean that you should let guard down) To make LeChiffre Ransomware work, cyber criminals have to install it manually in hacked servers. Usually the hackers enter a network and look for vulnerable Remote Desktops through which they can run an executable of LeChiffre Ransomware. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the LeChiffre virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to LeChiffre – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of LeChiffre:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
_How to decrypt LeChiffre files.html
_how to decode[PC NAME].txt file
How to decrypt files infected by LeChiffre (.LeChiffre files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from EmsiSoft that can decrypt .LeChiffre files. It is free and may help you restore .LeChiffre files by LeChiffre virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .LeChiffre files.
Decrypt .LeChiffre files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of LeChiffre remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – LeChiffre by LeChiffre). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .LeChiffre files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov