Infected with Mdk4y Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Mdk4y Ransomware
Today we’re going to analyse what Mdk4y actually is. So, Mdk4y is a new version of millions of cryptoviruses named ransomware. This virus crypt your personal data and files in your system. It could be some Office files, archives, multimedia files, photos and so on. Mdk4y uses the special AES encryption algorithm that makes these files unusable. Also, it adds .mdk4y extensions to these files and after that, it looks like this example: photo.jpeg becomes photo.jpeg.mdk4y. Moreover, it creates a special text files HOW_TO_RETURN_FILES.txt that includes the information about the ransom. Here how it looks like:
In this file, scammers ask users to pay a ransom that will be about 500-700$. It’s too much, isn’t it? In plus, there are no guarantees that in reality, scammers will decrypt your files. No need to pay for that. It would be better if you’ll try to decrypt your files and remove Mdk4y using our guides.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Mdk4y Ransomware infected your PC
Most of all, it penetrates the user’s PC via unprotected network settings. It can come in the form of a fake update for some programs or system, or like an attachment in spam mailing. It has a lot of ways. First of all, you need to be sure that you have the last antivirus version. Try to use the full version of antiviruses because in fact, free antiviruses can’t protect your PCs against ransomware. So, if Mdk4y already infected your system then use our guides to remove it right away.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Mdk4y Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Mdk4y Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
SpyHunter 5 – fully removes all instances of Mdk4y Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Mdk4y Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Mdk4y Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Mdk4y Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Written by Rami Douafi