Muhstik is the name of one of the most dangerous types of virus – ransomware. If you haven’t heard of ransomware before, you should know that it encrypts the user’s personal files making them, in fact, useless. Muhstik is the newest variant of another notorious ransomware – QNAPCrypt that has already infected more than 1000 computers around the world. Just like its predecessor, it comes to the victim’s computer using the vulnerability setting up the user network, due to the lack of adequate anti-virus software or other programs that can prevent the entry of similar viruses. It can also come as an attachment to a spam mailing list or as a false update for a utility or program that is contained in your system. Anyway, you need to use antiviruses and other programs that can protect your PC. Below you will find our recommendations to remove Muhstik Ransomware and decrypt your files.
Once the encryption procedure is finished, all affected files get .muhstik extension. For example, file “photo.jpg” turns into “photo.jpg.muhstik” Also, the ransomware will drop text files with a ransom note – README_FOR_DECRYPT.txt. Cybercriminals will offer you a deal – pay money for decryption of your files:
All your files have been encrypted.
You can find the steps to decrypt them in any the following links:
http://18.104.22.168/.unlock/payment/7e916d33-f7a2-46f0-807b-d2e38492a12e Could go offline at any time
http://22.214.171.124/.unlock/payment/7e916d33-f7a2-46f0-807b-d2e38492a12e Could go offline at any time
Or use TOR link, guaranteed Online 100% of the time:
http://5mngytmdpeyyp6xk.onion/payment/7e916d33-f7a2-46f0-807b-d2e38492a12e Use TOR browser to access .onion websites.
Do NOT remove this file and DO NOT remove last line in this file!
Your ID: ***************************
How to remove Muhstik Ransomware
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Muhstik Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Muhstik Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Muhstik Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Muhstik Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Muhstik Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data lose is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.