Infected with NegozI? Need to decrypt your files?
What is NegozI
NegozI is file-encrypting virus ransomware that uses AES-256 algorithm to encrypt your files. The ransom amount is huge 5 Bitcoins, which is currently about $3300. NegozI encrypts following file types: documents, images, game files, e-mails. Ransomware adds extension .evil to every encrypted file and also creates files “decrypt_your_files.txt” and “decrypt_your_files.html“, that contain instructions to pay the ransom and decrypt files. Hackers ask user to create Bitcoin Wallet and send them to following e-mail address: “firstname.lastname@example.org” along with unique ID. At the time of writing this article there is no working decryptor to recover the files, however, we will update the article as soon as solution appears. On this page we prepared guide to remove NegozI (Apocalypse) virus and decrypt files with .evil extension using available manual methods.
How NegozI infected your PC
NegozI distributes using standard methods (malicious email attachments, torrent (P2P) networks, fake invoices). NegozI uses TOR network for receiving ransom, which makes it very difficult to trace the attacker. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the NegozI virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to NegozI – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of NegozI:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by NegozI (.evil files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .evil files. It is free and may help you restore .evil files by NegozI virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .evil files.
Decrypt .evil files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of NegozI remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – NegozI by NegozI). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .evil files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov