What is Rapid?
Rapid is typical ransomware that encrypts user data so that victims cannot access their files. The reverse process is possible only with the help of a private key and decryption software, which can be purchased for money from cybercriminals. The amount that cybercriminals require for their services is 3.5462 BTC. It is said that after four days the cost of decryption will be doubled. Thus, they try to make you pay as quickly as possible. After payment is confirmed, victims will be able to download decryption tools. We don’t advise you to comply with the terms of cybercriminals. As practice shows, quite often, victims who pay the ransom are left with nothing. You may follow this guide to Rapid Ransomware and decrypt .cryptolocker files
Within encryption, it renames infected files with a random string of characters and adds the extension “.cryptolocker”, for example, “1.jpg” turns into “4A6J5N4ESJ.cryptolocker” and so on.
In addition, Rapid forcibly replaces the victim’s desktop and creates two text files (“! DECRYPT_FILES.txt” and “rapidrecovery.txt“) that contain ransom note from cybercriminals:
> Welcome. Please read this important instruction.
Cant you find the necessary files?
Is the content of your files not readable?
Congratulations, you files have been encrypted.
> Whats happened?
Your documents, photos, databases and other important files have been encrypted
with strongest encryption and unique key, generated for this computer
Decrypting of your files is only possible with the private key and decrypt program
The only copy of the private key, which will allow you to decrypt your files,
is located on a secret server
> To receive your private key follow instruction:
1) Download and install TOR browser: hxxps://www.torproject.org/
2) Open Tor Browser
3) In Tor Browser open personal page here: hxxp://ytufnh2mbniwh437.onion/E2RTCV5IOV3LDSA0
5) When you open personal page, upload userkey.dat file
a) You can find this file in any encrypted folder
b) You can find this file on your desktop
6) Follow instruction on personal page
Warning: this website is available via Tor Browser only!
Also! At this page you will be able to restore any one file for free!
Your personal-ID: 7VD39RZYQPR2VK
As stated in these messages, you can recover files only by decrypting them using their software and a decryption key. They can be obtained on the Tor website, the link is in ransom notes. For further instructions, the victim needs to upload the userkey.dat file, which can be found on the desktop and in folders with encrypted files.
There are two solutions to this problem. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
How ransomware gets on your PC?
How to remove Rapid Ransomware
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Rapid Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Rapid Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Rapid Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Rapid Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Rapid Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Rapidt-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data lose is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.