Infected with Rapid Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Rapid Ransomware
Rapid Ransomware is encryption virus that encodes user files using AES algorithm. After successful encryption ransomware appends .rapid or .paymeme extensions to affected files. It also creates text files (“!!! README !!!.txt”, “! How Recovery Files.txt”, “HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT”, “recovery.txt”, ) with ransom note and contact e-mails. Here is the list as seen in different versions of this threat:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Ransom-demanding message may look different, latest versions of Rapid Ransomware shows following text:
All your files have been encrypted by us
If you want to restore files write on e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Send me your ID and 1-3 small encrypted files(The total size of files must be less than 1Mb (non-archived)) for free decryption.
After that, I'll tell you the price for decryption all files.
So this gives you a chance for free decryption, as author lets you decrypt 3 files. This may help decryption tool to detect encryption key and decode the files. This version wants 0.4 BitCoins which is around $5000, but we strongly recommend you not to pay money to malefactors, as you can put your bank credentials at risk. Rapid Ransomware also deletes shadow copies of files, so it will be impossible to restore files from shadow copies. However other instructions given on this page can be very useful and help you in your particular case. Follow the guide below to remove Rapid Ransomware and decrypt .rapid or .paymeme files in Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7.
How Rapid Ransomware infected your PC
At this moment, we know that several e-mails are used to distribute .docx files with malicious macroses. E-mails are distributed all over the world. You can also get this ransomware on file-sharing networks, including torrent files. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as the user in this network is often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Rapid Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Rapid Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Rapid Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files and folders:
%AppData%\How Recovery Files.txt
How to decrypt files infected by Rapid Ransomware (.rapid or .paymeme files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .rapid or .paymeme files. It is free and may help you restore .rapid or .paymeme files encrypted by Rapid Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .rapid or .paymeme files.
Decrypt .rapid or .paymeme files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although latest versions of Rapid Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Rapid Ransomware by Rapid Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .rapid or .paymeme files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Information provided by Tim Kas