Infected with REKTLocker? Need to decrypt your files?
What is REKTLocker
REKTLocker is cryptographic virus, that belongs to the category of ransomware viruses. It uses RSA-2048 encryption to encrypt important user files and adds .rekt to all affected files. Decryption key is stored on the remote server that is controlled by malefactors, that makes it very hard to decrypt files without paying the ransom. By the way, hackers demand a ransom of 1 BTC for the private key they will send to you. Ransomware modifies desktop background with the picture and message that says:
Your PC has been locked with 2048 bit encryption. REKTLocker.
Along with that, virus creates text file Readme.txt. It contains information for making the payment and frightening message that “antivirus will not save you”. At the time of writing this article there was no working decryptor to recover the files, however, some antivirus companies already working on it. We will update this article as soon as working decryptor appears. Currently, only way to restore your files is from online or local backups (if you have ones) or use Windows Previous Versions. Follow this guide to remove REKTLocker and decrypt files with .rekt extension using available methods.
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. Also check following website for possible decryptor: Emsisoft Decryptors.
How REKTLocker infected your PC
REKTLocker distributes using standard methods (malicious email attachments, torrent (P2P) networks, fake invoices). REKTLocker uses TOR network for receiving ransom, which makes it very difficult to trace the attacker. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the REKTLocker virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to REKTLocker – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of REKTLocker:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by REKTLocker (.rekt files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .rekt files. It is free and may help you restore .rekt files by REKTLocker virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .rekt files.
Decrypt .rekt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of REKTLocker remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – REKTLocker by REKTLocker). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .rekt files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov