What is Rook ransomware?
Rook is yet another cryptovirus that locks users’ data for the purpose of further blackmail. That’s the whole point of ransomware viruses is to get money from a victim. Although this virus targets English-speaking users, it’s already spread around the world. Once infected, it puts strong encryption on files so that users are unable to access them. Then cybercrooks require money in the form of Bitcoin cryptocurrency to obtain a decryption tool that would allow victims to access it once again. However, we advise you to avoid any contact between you and these people. There are no guarantees of the decryption of your data after the payment so you may lose not only your files but also money. Instead, you may follow this guide that explains how to completely remove Rook ransomware and decrypt .Rook files for free.
Once encryption is done, all user’s files will be appended with .Rook extension. For example, file “IMG2054.jpg” will turn into “IMG2054.jpg.Rook“. Afterward, the ransomware will drop a text file with a ransom note – “HowToRestoreYourFiles.txt” that contains kidnappers’ demands. While the text in the ransom note may vary, the essence remains the same – cybercriminals demand money from victims in BTC cryptocurrency to regain data access. However, we do not recommend you do this, because no one can ensure that they send you the decryption tool even if the payment is transferred.
Screenshot of encrypted by Rook virus files:
There are two solutions to remove Rook Ransomware and decrypt your files. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
The content of ransom note (HowToRestoreYourFiles.txt):
———–Welcome. Again. ——————–
Your files are encrypted,and currently unavailable. You can check it: all files on you computer has expansion robet.
By the way,everything is possible to recover (restore), but you need to follow our instructions. Otherwise, you cant return your data (NEVER).
[+] What guarantees?[+]
Its just a business. We absolutely do not care about you and your deals, except getting benefits. If we do not do our work and liabilities – nobody will not cooperate with us. Its not in our interests.
To check the file capacity, please send 3 files not larger than 1M to us, and we will prove that we are capable of restoring.
If you will not cooperate with our service – for us, its does not matter. But you will lose your time and data,cause just we have the private key. In practise – time is much more valuable than money.
If we find that a security vendor or law enforcement agency pretends to be you to negotiate with us, we will directly destroy the private key and no longer provide you with decryption services.
You have 3 days to contact us for negotiation. Within 3 days, we will provide a 50% discount. If the discount service is not provided for more than 3 days, the files will be leaked to our onion network. Every more than 3 days will increase the number of leaked files.
Please use the company email to contact us, otherwise we will not reply.
[+] How to get access on website?[+]
You have two ways:
1) [Recommended] Using a TOR browser!
a) Download and install TOR browser from this site:hxxps://torproject.org/
b) Open our website:gamol6n6p2p4c3ad7gxmx3ur7wwdwlywebo2azv3vv5qlmjmole2zbyd.onion
2) Our mail box:
c)If the mailbox fails or is taken over, please open Onion Network to check the new mailbox
DONT try to change files by yourself, DONT use any third party software for restoring your data or antivirus solutions – its may entail damge of the private key and, as result, The Loss all data.
AGAIN: Its in your interests to get your files back. From our side, we (the best specialists) make everything for restoring, please should not interfere.
ONE MORE TIME: Security vendors and law enforcement agencies, please be aware that attacks on us will make us even stronger.
How Rook ransomware gets on my computer?
Cybercriminals use various techniques to deliver the virus to the target computer. Ransomware viruses can infiltrate victims’ computers more than in one or two ways, in most cases, cryptoviral extortion attack is carried out with the help of the following methods:
- This is the most used distribution method. Cybercriminals use fraudulent emails to pose as official organization or business company (receipts, winning notification, confirmation of order; bank messages, and so on) to lure unsuspecting users into clicking on a malicious attachment – just one click to make your files inaccessible. To mislead the user and make it look like an official email, cybercriminals adds an extra symbol to the email address, for example, instead of firstname.lastname@example.org, you may see service[.]@paypal.com or service[_]@paypal.com. That’s why you should always pay attention to received emails and identify the sender to make sure that this is from a trusted source. Also, the presence of grammatical and typographical errors in the text of the message indicates that this is fake. If nothing’s wrong, scan the attachment with antivirus software first and then you can open it. Compliance with all these rules will help you save a lot of nerve, time, and money.
- Hackers use the special toolkit to exploit known vulnerabilities in systems or applications. That’s why you should always make Windows updates on time and keep them up to date. Remember that these updates close the security holes of the system through which the virus can enter your computer. Make sure that your operating system itself is not outdated and is officially supported, for example, Windows XP, Vista, 7 are no longer supported.
- Various dubious web-sources can contain malicious scripts or hyperlinks that can infect your system. Our advice – avoid visiting P2P sites and websites with illegal content (pirated software, movies, music). Use only legitimate services and remember – there’s no free lunch in this world.
- Cybercriminals often abuse the built-in Windows feature – Remote Desktop Protocol to infect computers with ransomware. That way, they access the target computer remotely and install viruses manually. To avoid infection via RDP, you should set a different from 3389 TCP port and use a more strong password.
|Type of threat||Ransomware, cryptovirus, file-locking virus|
|Ransom Note||HowToRestoreYourFiles.txt, onion website (Tor browser)|
|Distribution||Spam email attachments, RDP, pirated software, torrent websites, phishing sites|
In order to completely remove ransomware from your computer, you will need to install an antivirus software. We recommend using SpyHunter
The only effectvie method to restore files is to copy them from a saved backup. If you don’t have a suitable backup, you may use third-party recover software such as Stellar Data Recovery
How to remove Rook ransomware?
After the virus is completely removed from your system, you can already start restoring your files directly.
How to decrypt files infected by Rook Ransomware?
Method 1. Restore your files with the help of Recovery Tool
In case your PC has been attacked by ransomware, you may restore your files by using file recovery software. Stellar Data Recovery is one of the most effective tools that can recover lost and corrupted files — documents, emails, pictures, videos, audio files, and more — on any Windows device. The powerful scan engine can detect compromised files and finally save them to specified destination. Despite its advancedness, it’s very concise and simple so that even the most inexperienced user can figure it out.
- Run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
- After this, select a destination and click Start Saving to save restored data.
Since new ransomware-type viruses appear almost every day, there is no technical possibility to issue a decryptor for each virus. In this case, the recovery tool comes to the rescue. Despite the fact that this is one of the most effective methods in the absence of a decryptor, this is not 100 percent and not the only way.
Method 2. Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Rook Ransomware can remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data. The entire process is preferably carried out in Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
For Windows XP/Vista/7 users:
Restart your computer and before your system starts – hit F8 several times. This will prevent system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with Command Prompt option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
For Windows 8/10 users:
- Click the Start button, then select Settings
- Click Update & Security, then select Recovery and click Restart now.
- After your device reboots, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup Settings > Restart
- After your PC restarts, you should press F5 key to Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
After the system is loaded in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, do following:
- In the Command Prompt window, type cd restore and hit Enter.
- Then type rstrui.exe and hit Enter again.
- Once a new window shows up, click Next.
- Choose the date before the infection appearance and click Next again
- In the opened pop-up window, click Yes to start system restore.
Method 4. Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Click the ecrypted file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
No one is safe from infection with a virus that secretly encrypts your data. But in order to minimize this risk, you need to follow the rules:
1. Always make Windows updates on time and keep them up to date. Remember that these updates close the security holes of the system through which the virus can enter your computer.
2. The most efficient way to avoid data loss is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer. It is enough just to synchronize the necessary folders with one of the cloud services, so as not to be afraid to see the text requiring the payment of bitcoins in exchange for a decryption key. It can be a cloud or a remote hard drive on the network. If you store all your files on the Internet, the likelihood of virus infection will be lower. Do not make copies to external hard drives, as this could damage them.
3. Since spam email is the most popular form of spreading ransomware-type viruses, the user should never open email attachments without first having scanned them with antivirus. Just clicking on the link or opening the attachment can damage the operating system (Windows) in a few minutes, damage important data, and infect other machines with the virus.
3. Ransomware-type viruses often crawl into a system using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). RDP is a legitimate and useful feature that allows a user to take control of a remote computer or virtual machine over a network connection. But, at the same time, this is its Achilles’ heel as it’s poorly secured and has many vulnerabilities that can give hackers easy entry into the victim’s computer. In this case, we advise you to set a different from 3389 TCP port and use a more strong password. You can additionally protect yourself from virus penetration through an RDP connection with the help of a reliable firewall such as GlassWire’s Firewall
5. All previous methods do not matter if you do not have a reliable antivirus. The presence of anti-virus protection on your computer can prevent all these unpleasant surprises. Anti-virus protection will protect you from malware, money loss, time loss, invasion of your personal life. Now the antivirus market is so huge that it is difficult to make a choice in favor of one of them. If you have not decided who to give preference to, we suggest you familiarize with our Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Written by Ilyas J