Infected with Troldesh Ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Troldesh Ransomware
Troldesh is family of ransomware viruses also called Shade Ransomware. Unique version of this threat can be created by anyone using special “developer kit”, that is available on the underground forums. This virus targets Russian and American users. Malware encrypts user personal files and documents along with photos, music, videos with asymmetric encryption algorithm (RSA-2048 or RSA-4096). Ransomware appends .xtbl extension to all encrypted files. After this Troldesh demands ransom from 0.5 and 1.5 BTC (from $270 to $800). Virus places text or html files with instructions to decrypt your files, for example How to decrypt your files.txt, in folders with encrypted files. Usually this instructions require using TOR browser and payment via BitCoin network. This makes it very hard to detect malefactors. Troldesh also modifies desktop background to deliver the message, that your computer is infected. Currently Troldesh is detected by Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. Here are e-mails used by remote hackers:
Gerkaman@aol.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Bitcoinrush@aol.com, Ramachandra7@india.com, email@example.com, Redshitline@india.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Green_Ray@india.com, Seven_Legion2@aol.com, Makdonalds@india.com, email@example.com, Dakinibless@india.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ecovector@aol.com, email@example.com, Vegclass@aol.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, JohnyCryptor@aol.com, email@example.com
Most popular ransomware from Troldesh family:
How Troldesh Ransomware infected your PC
Troldesh Ransomware distributes using standard methods (malicious email attachments, torrent (P2P) networks, fake invoices). Troldesh Ransomware uses TOR network for receiving ransom, which makes it very difficult to trace the attacker. Ransom is asked to be paid in BitCoins, that also makes the task difficult for the police, as user in this network are often anonymous. Encryption starts in the background. Way to protect your computer from such threats is to use antiviruses with crypto-protection like HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard.
First of all don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer, before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Troldesh Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Troldesh Ransomware – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Troldesh Ransomware:
Remove following registry entries:
Remove following files:
How to decrypt files infected by Troldesh Ransomware (.xtbl files)?
Use automated decryption tools
There is ransomware decryptor from Kaspersky that can decrypt .xtbl files. It is free and may help you restore .xtbl files by Troldesh Ransomware virus. Download it here:
You can also try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt .xtbl files.
Decrypt .xtbl files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although, latest versions of Troldesh Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (in our case – Troldesh Ransomware by Troldesh Ransomware). This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Restore .xtbl files using shadow copies
- Download and run Shadow Explorer.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from.
- Right-click on folder you want to restore and select Export.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov