What is Wanna Scream Ransomware?
Wanna Scream is computer ransomware that attacks users’ files (photos, documents, text files, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, archives, etc.). It uses a powerful enough algorithm to encrypt user files. After that, they get the .WannaScream extension. On this basis, an experienced user will be immediately aware of the infection, but the virus is insured and just in case notifies the user of what exactly happened to his data. A plain text file appears in such cases with instructions for recovering the files. It also warns users against trying to self-cure the system and recover their files. If an inexperienced user engages in this, then the probability of irreparable data loss is really great. The buyback request is displayed in the form of a pop-up window WannaScream.hta and text file README.txt file:
All your files have been encrypted by Wanna Scream!
due to a security problem with your PC. If you want to restore them, write us to the e-mail Filemgr@tutanota.com
Write this ID in the title of your message:1E857D00
In case of no answer in 24 hours write us to this e-mail:Cryptor6@tutanota.com
You have to pay for decryption in Bitcoins. The price depends on how fast you write to us. After payment, we will send you the tool that will decrypt all your files.
Free decryption as guarantee
Before paying you can send us up to 5 files for free decryption. The total size of files must be less than 4Mb (non-archived), and files should not contain valuable information. (databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.)
How to obtain Bitcoins
The easiest way to buy bitcoins is the LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click ‘Buy bitcoins’, and select the seller by payment method and price.
Also, you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
Do not rename encrypted files.
Do not try to decrypt your data using third-party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
The decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
There is no guarantee that your files will be returned in their original condition.
At the last stage of the infection stage, this ransomware deletes all shadow volumes on your computer. After that, you will not be able to carry out the standard procedure for recovering your encrypted data using these shadow volumes.
In order to remove Wanna Scream Ransomware and decrypt .WannaScream files, as usual, we have two solutions to this problem. The first is to use an automated removal tool. This method is suitable even for inexperienced users since the removal tool can delete all instances of the virus in just a few clicks. The second is to use the Manual Removal Guide. This is a more complex way that requires special computer skills.
How Wanna Scream ransomware gets on my computer?
– Spam attachments and hyperlinks
– Software vulnerabilities and exploits
– Malicious sites
– Backdoors (defects of the algorithm that are intentionally built into it by the developer and allow you to gain unauthorized access to data or remote control of the operating system and the computer as a whole)
In the process of its work, Wanna Scream places an executable file with a random name in the% TEMP% folder, modifies the Windows registry, disables the system restore function at boot, and performs all of some other actions. The encryption process itself takes from a few seconds to several minutes. After that, the .WannaScream extension is added to each of the files, for example, song.mp3 will become song.mp3.Wanna Scream and will no longer be opened by the music player.
How to remove Wanna Scream Ransomware?
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will Wanna Scream Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Wanna Scream Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Try Combo Cleaner Antivirus
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Wanna Scream Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by Wanna Scream Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Wanna Scream Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Wanna Screamt-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data lose is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.