What is XMRLocker Ransomware
XMRLocker is ransomware that infiltrates the system, usually unnoticed. Almost immediately after penetration, XMRLocker ransomware encrypts user data of various types and formats, and, after the manipulations, this data cannot be used in the future. And if we consider that these are photos, videos, audio, text documents, etc., which can be expensive for each user (not only in monetary terms), it immediately becomes clear that the crypto-virus affects the most significant part of the data. That is why ransomware has become very common lately, and only a “lazy” attacker-hacker has not made such attempts.
As for the activity of this ransomware, it was revealed at the end of August 2020. People from all over the world asked for help because of the XMRLocker ransomware attack. The genealogical relationship of this threat has not been established, at least not yet. On top of that, the virus changes the extensions of the encrypted files, assigning a new ending to .[XMRLocker]. Please note that renaming files to the correct format yourself is not only useless but also threatens with complete data loss. XMRLocker ransomware creates a text document ReadMe(HowToDecrypt).txt containing a “message” from cybercriminals.
~All your files are encrypted with Base-64 algorithm~
Don’t worry, all your files can be restored.
Contact us by e-mail to find out the price for data decryption:
firstname.lastname@example.org = Main e-mail.
email@example.com = Spare e-mail (If you have not received an answer within one day from main e-mail).
As proof that we can decrypt your files you can send us 1 file weighing no more than 1 MB.
1. If you do not pay within 24 hours, the price for data decryption will double (x2).
2. Сhanging, editing or renaming encrypted files can lead to the fact that the data cannot be restored.
Your unique ID: *************
The scammers are demanding immediate payment of the ransom within 24 hours, but the amount of this ransom is not specified anywhere. According to our data, the price can range from $500 to $1,500. Moreover, cybercriminals say that the price will double in a day. As for expediency – of course, you don’t need to pay. No one can guarantee that you will actually get your files back. Use our recommendations below to remove XMRLocker ransomware and decrypt .[XMRLocker] files.
How to remove XMRLocker Ransomware
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will XMRLocker Ransomware system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the XMRLocker Ransomware virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Aiseesoft Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of XMRLocker Ransomware:
Related connections or other entries:
How to decrypt files infected by XMRLocker Ransomware?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of XMRLocker Ransomware remove system restore files, this method may help you to partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
How to prevent your system from Ransomware?
Make sure your Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection is closed when you don’t use it. Also, we recommend using a strong password for this service. The most efficient way to avoid data lose is of course to make a backup of all important data from your computer.