iTunes is official software developed by Apple that is used for downloading, saving, playing and organizing music and video files on desktop or laptop computers. The application software is downloaded from official App Store. It is not a virus or addware, iTunes is considered relatively safe. Nevertheless, some users complain that it is quite uneasy to delete iTunes completely. Leftovers of the application may cause error messages to appear and interrupt normal PC’s work. The problem is when you install iTunes, it comes with a number of components, which make the uninstallation process a bit tricky.
In this article we will give you a step-by-step manual solution that will help you get rid of iTunes independently and also advise you a specialized tool that is designed to remove unwanted programs completely. It is for you to decide which way you are going to use. It will take you some time to complete the steps of the manual solution while the automatic tool is very quick – all you need is to download and install it on your PC and the tool will do all the work for you. Besides, some of the manual instructions require advanced computer knowledge, the automatic tool, on the contrary, is very easy to use.
To uninstall iTunes manually, please complete these steps:
1. Disable iTunes
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons all at the same time.
- When the task manager is opened, select Process tab
- Find iTune processes and click End Task button for each one of them.
- You should find and stop the following processes:
2. Uninstall iTunes and all related with it programs through Add/Remove programs
- Click Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove programs
- Now find iTunes program and click Remove button
- Do the same for the following programs:
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support
3. Now you need to delete all the leftover files and folders of iTunes:
- Go Start>Search for files and folders
- Type “iTunes” without the quotes and click More advanced options and select the first three options
- Click Search
- Delete all related files and folders by pressing Alt+A and right-clicking on each of those files.
4. And finally remove what is left of iTunes through registry editor
- Click Start>Run and then type “regedit” in the opened Command Prompt
- Find Apple Computer, Inc folder on the left side and expand it clicking on “+” sign
- Delete all the keys related to iTunes (right-click on each of them and select Delete)
- Restart your PC.
Note: if you have never used registry editor before, please back up all the registry files you are going to delete. If you remove wrong files, it may result in system crash.
If you followed the steps carefully, this should be the end of iTunes on your PC.
Uninstall iTunes automatically
If the above instructions seem too complicated or you are short of time, use Free Uninstaller tool.
The tool is a specially designed uninstall utility that is capable of removing all types of programs leaving no traces of it. Using it does not require any special knowledge, just download, install it and say goodbye to iTunes!