GallantBounce is a potentially unwanted program that injects advertisements into websites you visit and redirects your browser search queries. It is a malicious program that hijacks your browser homepage and search engine, displaying unwanted advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing. GallantBounce uses a browser extension or program to carry out these activities.
When GallantBounce is installed on your computer, it will redirect your browser search queries through GallantBounce Search, which in turn redirects to search result pages from search.yahoo.com. This is most likely done to generate advertising revenue by using Yahoo Search for its search results. Additionally, GallantBounce will open new tabs in your browser that display advertisements trying to sell software, push fake software updates, and tech support scams.
How was GallantBounce Installed on Your Computer?
GallantBounce is typically installed by users, either knowingly or unknowingly. It is often offered through advertisements or bundled with other software, leaving users puzzled about where this software came from. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed, resulting in the unintentional installation of GallantBounce.
To remove GallantBounce and any other potentially unwanted programs from your Mac, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Remove Malicious Profiles
Profiles are used by IT admins in businesses to control the behavior of their Macs. However, adware and browser hijackers exploit this feature to prevent users from removing malicious programs from their computers. To check if any malicious profiles are installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- Open “System Preferences” from the Apple menu.
- Search for the “Profiles” icon in the System Preferences window.
- If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, and you can proceed to the next steps.
- If there’s a Profile icon, click on it and select any suspicious profile that you want to remove. Then, press the – (minus) button and click “Remove” to delete the profile.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Apps
In this step, we will identify and remove any malicious apps and files that might be installed on your Mac. Some adware programs can have usable Uninstall entries that can be used to remove them. Follow these steps to delete malicious apps:
- Quit any unknown or suspicious programs running on your Mac by clicking on their icons on the top-right corner of the menu bar and selecting “Quit.”
- Open the Finder application from your dock.
- In the Finder left pane, click on “Applications” to display a list of all the apps installed on your device.
- Look for any suspicious programs that you don’t remember downloading or that don’t sound like genuine programs. Right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash.”
- After moving the app to the Trash, right-click on the Trash icon on the dock and select “Empty Trash” to permanently delete the app.
- Next, we need to find and remove any malicious files associated with GallantBounce. Click on the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, then choose “Go” and click on “Go to Folder.”
- Type or copy/paste the following paths into the window that opens, then click “Go”:
- /Library/Application Support
- Look for any suspicious files that you don’t remember downloading or that don’t sound like genuine programs. When you find a malicious file, move it to the Trash.
Step 3: Reset Browsers Back to Default Settings
To ensure that GallantBounce is completely removed from your system, you need to reset your browsers back to their default settings. Follow the instructions below for each browser installed on your Mac:
Resetting Safari Browser
- Go to Safari’s “Preferences” by clicking on the Safari menu and selecting “Preferences.”
- In the General tab, check the homepage field to ensure it is set to a web page you want to use as your start-up page.
- Click on the Extensions tab and remove any suspicious extensions by clicking on the Uninstall button.
- In the Websites tab, click on Notifications and deselect “Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications”.
- Still in the Websites tab, click on “Manage Website Data” and remove all data stored by websites on your computer.
- Finally, click on the Advanced tab and enable the checkbox to “Show Develop menu in menu bar.” From the menu bar, select Develop, then click on “Empty Caches.”
Resetting Chrome for Mac Browser
- Click on the three dots at the top right of Chrome and go to Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click on “Reset and clean up” and then click on “Reset settings to their original defaults.”
- Click on the “Reset settings” button to confirm.
Resetting Firefox for Mac Browser
- Click on the Firefox menu button (three horizontal lines) and select “Help.”
- Click on “Troubleshooting Information.”
- In the Troubleshooting Information page, click on the “Refresh Firefox” button and then click on “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm.
Step 4: Run a Scan with SpyHunter for Mac
To ensure that all traces of GallantBounce are removed from your Mac, it is recommended to run a scan with SpyHunter for Mac. SpyHunter is an on-demand scanner that can detect and remove various types of malware.
Try SpyHunter for Mac
Your Mac should now be free of the GallantBounce adware. To stay safe online, follow these 10 basic security tips:
- Use a good antivirus and keep it up-to-date.
- Keep your software and operating systems up-to-date.
- Be cautious when installing programs and apps.
- Install an ad blocker to stop malicious ads.
- Be careful what you download.
- Be alert for people trying to trick you.
- Back up your data regularly.
- Use strong and unique passwords.
- Be careful where you click.
- Avoid using pirated software.
By following these tips and regularly scanning your computer for malware, you can protect yourself from adware and other malicious programs. Remember to stay vigilant and keep your Mac secure.