What is Fortify Browser Protection
Fortify Browser Protection is a deceptive browser extension that might get installed without the user noticing. As a rule, such toolbars are the result of user-installed software that had hidden packages installed (“bundling” method). Once installed, it takes over your browser and forcibly changes search/homepage/new tab to https://fortifyshield.com/. Possibly the main reason to remove Fortify Browser Protection is unreliable search query results that aim to make you visit affiliate websites. Besides, the overall amount of various ads such as pop-ups, banner ads, and other commercials will increase markedly. Of course, this is not a really pleasant experience because they often overlay the vastness of the screen, preventing the user from surfing the Internet freely. So if you don’t want to suffer from misleading search results, annoying ads, and redirect activity, you need to take steps to remove Fortify Browser Protection from your computer system.
|Name||Fortify Browser Protection|
|Type of threat||Browser hijacker|
|URL address||fortifyshield.com and yahoo.com|
|Symptoms||Browser hijacker changes homepage and search engine of browser so that users are forced to use them. It fills the targeted browser with commercial content in form of pop-ups, banners, in-text links, audio/video ads, etc. Also, hijacker can occasionally cause redirects to third-party websites|
|Infiltration||Freeware programs, illegal software, software cracks, torrents, fake updates|
|Manual Removal||To eliminate threat manually, you should remove all files and applications related to the browser hijacker|
|Removal Tool||To completely get rid of hijacker, We recommend using Norton Antivirus. This is the only way you can be 100% sure that all components of the threat are removed from the system.|
How to uninstall Fortify Browser Protection hijacker from your computer?
The easiest and modern way of removing pop-ups, trojans, ransomware, or other viruses is to use automatic removal tools. See our Anti-malware tools below for further instructions.
Recommended Anti-malware tools:
Also, you can try to uninstall Fortify Browser Protection hijacker manually.
Sometimes, an extension cannot be removed because it is supposedly “Managed by your organization”. If this is your case, we recommend that you also use this guide – How to remove Managed by your organization from Chrome?
Step 1: Remove Fortify Browser Protection hijacker from Control Panel/Applications
- Click Start.
- Control Panel.
- Then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Fortify Browser Protection hijacker.
- Click Uninstall.
Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- Click Start.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Fortify Browser Protection and click Uninstall.
Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Open the Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Then as in Windows 7, click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Fortify Browser Protection, select it and click Uninstall.
- Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, click on the Settings at the top.
- Click on App & features on the left menu.
- On the right side, locate Fortify Browser Protection and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
Note: If you can’t find required program, sort programs by date in Control panel and search for last installed programs.
- Open Finder
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications
- If you see Uninstall Fortify Browser Protection or Fortify Browser Protection Uninstaller (or other suspicious apps that you’ve never installed), double-click it and follow instructions
- Drag unwanted application Fortify Browser Protection from the Applications folder to the Trash (located on the right side of the Dock)
After that uninstall Fortify Browser Protection from your browser.
Step 2: Remove Fortify Browser Protection from browsers
If you cannot remove the extension from Google Chrome, as the delete icon is greyed out and the extension is marked as “managed by your organization”, you should first perform steps described in the How to remove Managed by your organization from Chrome? article and only then proceed with the removal.
- Open Google Chrome
- Click on 3-dots icon in the upper right corner and select Tools.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Fortify Browser Protection.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Open Safari
- Click Safari menu.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Fortify Browser Protection or other suspicious extensions.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Choose Fortify Browser Protection.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
- Press Settings and more button
- Choose and Click on Extensions
- Find Fortify Browser Protection extension and click settings
- Press Uninstall button
- Start Edge again
- Open IE.
- Push Alt + T.
- Click Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Fortify Browser Protection.
- Click More information link in the left-bottom corner.
- Click Remove button.
- If this button is grayed out – perform alternative steps.
Step 3: Resetting your browser search and homepage settings
Reset browser setting in Safari:
- Open Safari.
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Choose Reset Safari….
- Click Reset button.
Reset browser setting in Google Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu (3 bar button) in the top right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Go to Reset browser settings section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset browser setting in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Go to Help.
- Go to Troubleshooting information.
- Click Reset Firefox… button.